Offensive outburst and elite pitching power Gators to series-clinching win over LSU

<p>Nelson Maldonado swings at a ball during Florida's win over LSU on Friday, March 24, 2017, at McKethan Stadium. </p>

Nelson Maldonado swings at a ball during Florida's win over LSU on Friday, March 24, 2017, at McKethan Stadium. 

It started with a hard ground ball to LSU shortstop Kramer Robertson, who tried to throw out UF’s JJ Schwarz at first. It started when the throw beat him but pulled first baseman Jake Slaughter into Schwarz’s running lane, leading to a collision. It started when Slaughter dropped the ball, allowing Schwarz to tap first base safely.

It finished when Schwarz reached home plate moments later on a bases-loaded hit-by-pitch, giving the No. 13 Gators their first run and igniting their offense in a series-clinching 8-1 win over No. 4 LSU on Saturday at McKethan Stadium.

“We’ve been a little down with our offense,” outfielder Nelson Maldonado said, “but this weekend, it really opened our eyes and we got our offense going.”

Florida (16-8, 2-3 SEC) mustered a consistent offensive performance, scoring exactly one run in five separate innings. That effort was led by Schwarz, who went 2-for-5 on the day and scored three runs.

Maldonado was also instrumental in the win, notching two hits, two walks, a hit-by-pitch and two RBIs, including one particularly powerful one in the bottom of the fifth.

Following a Schwarz double to open the inning, Maldonado launched a ball into the left-centerfield gap. It scored Schwarz, put himself at second base and led to four celebratory fist-to-chest thumps.

“I had to sac bunt on the first two pitches, and I couldn’t get them down,” he said of the hit. “When I was up in the box, I was like, ‘I gotta do something to help my team,’ whether it was to get JJ over to third or drive a ball in the gap. And that’s exactly what I did.”

UF second baseman Deacon Liput also performed well a day after smacking three hits. On Saturday, he extended his hot streak by going 1-for-2 with three walks and three stolen bases.

Catcher Mike River also had a solid day at the dish, going 3-for-3 with a pair of RBIs.

Christian Hicks and Ryan Larson also added a hit each.

“It takes the pressure off me,” starter Brady Singer said. “I’m just really proud of how they hit.”

Speaking of Singer, he dazzled on the mound.

The sophomore tossed the first complete game of his career on 108 pitches. It included four strikeouts, six hits allowed and no walks.

“I told him to just simplify, sink the ball and be around the strike zone, and no one can hit it,” Rivera, who caught the complete game, said. “It’s 97 and sinking, so good luck.”

Singer said he was satisfied with his performance, although he added there’s still work to be done.

“We wanted to win,” he said. “We’re here for the sweep.”

The Gators will go for that sweep of LSU (17-7, 3-2 SEC) on Sunday at 1 p.m. with sophomore Jackson Kowar on the mound. A win would even their SEC record after a conference-opening sweep last weekend at Auburn.

“The bottom line is we’re still 2-3 in the league,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “So we gotta enjoy this, but we’ve gotta come back tomorrow and make sure we play our best game.”

Contact Ethan Bauer at ebauer@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @ebaueri