Logan Shore shines in record-setting win over Georgia

<p><span>Logan Shore celebrates after throwing a complete-game shutout -- his school-record 13th consecutive win -- during Florida's 6-0 win against Georgia on April 22, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.</span></p>

Logan Shore celebrates after throwing a complete-game shutout -- his school-record 13th consecutive win -- during Florida's 6-0 win against Georgia on April 22, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.

Logan Shore pumped his fist in excitement.

The junior pitcher had just struck out the final Bulldog of the game looking, facing the minimum 27 batters and making history in the process Friday night.

Shore set a Florida record with his 13th straight win, breaking Russ Kibler’s mark set in 1984, as the No. 2 Gators (35-6, 12-5 Southeastern Conference) defeated Georgia 6-0 in Gainesville.

Shore, who improved to 8-0 behind the complete-game shutout, said he took it upon himself to help Florida bounce back after a tough extra-inning loss Thursday.

So he made history.

“I didn’t even know about the record until last week,” Shore said. “I just so happened to string together a pretty good run.”

While Shore ultimately stole the show on the mound, junior Buddy Reed lit up the base paths early on by stealing home.

Reed found himself on third base after he flared an RBI single to open the scoring and freshman Jonathan India followed with a two-run single to give UF a 3-0 lead.

With his eyes fixated on Georgia starting pitcher Connor Jones, Reed slowly crept off the bag.

Once Jones took a step signaling the start of his windup, the speedster bolted for home. Reed rushed down the line and slid in safely, capping a four-run inning.

It was just the second time Reed had ever attempted stealing home — his first time coming in high school, when he was thrown out, he said.

“Unfortunately I was out and I broke my pinky,” he said. “Now I’m 1-for-2 in lifetime steals of home.”

Reed’s theft was one of Florida’s five stolen bases against Georgia (21-19, 7-10 SEC), which marked a season high. UF coach Kevin O’Sullivan said the plan was to be more aggressive after Thursday’s loss.

And in the first inning when the opportunity arose, he rolled the dice.

“It’s funny how the game works out,” O’Sullivan said. “[After] a tough loss last night, it was almost like perfect timing. Even if it doesn’t work everybody’s gonna get excited.”

The excitement and energy led to another run in the second.

With two outs, freshman Deacon Liput struck out with Mike Rivera on third base. The ball bounced in front of the UGA catcher Skyler Weber, who then fired the ball in the dirt at first base. Rivera scurried home on the error to boost Florida’s lead to 5-0.

Florida tacked on its final run on Dalton Guthrie’s sacrifice fly out in the sixth, which was more than enough run support for Shore.

The Coon Rapids, Minnesota, native allowed just two hits and a walk while striking out six in the gem. It was Shore’s fourth career complete game and second shutout.

O’Sullivan, who’s witnessed all 44 of Shore’s starts, said this one was special.

“[It was] probably one of his best efforts since he’s been here,” he said.

The Gators and Bulldogs square off Saturday at 2 p.m. to decide the series. Sophomore Alex Faedo is scheduled to take the mound for Florida.

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org and you can follow him on Twitter @Pinakk12

Buddy Reed steals home during Florida's 6-0 win against Georgia on April 22, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.