Florida shuts out LSU, advances to SEC Tournament Championship game

<p>Freshman infielder Jonathan India hits a ball during Florida's 7-4 win over Texas A&amp;M on April 1, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Freshman infielder Jonathan India hits a ball during Florida's 7-4 win over Texas A&M on April 1, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.

The rally opossum finally failed LSU on Saturday night.

Facing Florida with the winner advancing to the SEC Championship game, the Tigers had a chance to send the game to extra innings. Down by one, one swing was all they needed.

But Shaun Anderson was having none of it.

Despite giving up a leadoff single to Kramer Robertson and allowing him to advance on a ball in the dirt, Anderson settled in. He retired the next three hitters, with Nick Horvath finishing the Tigers by squeezing Beau Jordan’s fly to right field.

That preserved Florida’s 1-0 win and sent the Gators to tomorrow’s title game, where they’ll face Texas A&M.

Florida came into the game having lost to LSU three times in four games this season. That includes a 14-inning game that lasted until 3 a.m. on Wednesday.

But a fearsome pitching trio was able to silence the Tigers on Saturday, and it was led by Scott Moss.

It was Moss who drew the start despite having started just four games this season and none in SEC play. LSU probably wouldn’t have known about his lack of experience, though.

The lefty dazzled for six scoreless innings, striking out seven — both career highs — and allowing just three hits.

He turned things over to Dane Dunning, who also shut down LSU during his 1.2 innings of work. Kirby Snead, Florida’s lefty specialist, followed Dunning to get one out, which he did on one pitch. And from there, Anderson shut the door.

LSU starter Caleb Gilbert was just as good as Moss for most of the game, but Florida freshman Jonathan India finally got to him in the bottom of the sixth inning. He was able to pull a ball just fair down the left field line, plating Dalton Guthrie and giving the Gators the only run support they’d need.

While Florida swept Texas A&M in the regular season, the Aggies are ranked No. 1 by Baseball America. Florida comes in at No. 4.

If the Gators come out of Hoover with the win, it’ll mark their second SEC Tournament Championship in as many years. Game time is 3 p.m. and it will be televised on ESPN 2.

Contact Ethan Bauer at ebauer@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter at @ebaueri