<p>Florida forward Dorian Finney-Smith (10) shoots against Kentucky center Dakari Johnson (44) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in the quarter final round of the Southeastern Conference tournament, Friday, March 13, 2015, in Nashville, Tenn.</p>

Florida forward Dorian Finney-Smith (10) shoots against Kentucky center Dakari Johnson (44) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game in the quarter final round of the Southeastern Conference tournament, Friday, March 13, 2015, in Nashville, Tenn.

On a team full of new faces and young players, coach Mike White needs a leader, a veteran who can anchor the team and hold it together.

He has that in redshirt senior Dorian Finney-Smith.

Finney-Smith is one of just four players on Florida’s roster — along with Kasey Hill, DeVon Walker and Lexx Edwards — who has two years of playing experience for the Gators.

But, as a fifth-year player on a young team with an unfamiliar coaching staff, his seniority has launched him into that leadership role.

It’s a role that he admittedly isn’t used to having, but one that he’s willing to step into.

"Just to be more vocal," Finney-Smith said on how he plans to improve this season. "I’m a laidback dude, so it’s kind of uncomfortable to get out of myself."

"Patric (Young) was a great leader. He was vocal, him and Scottie (Wilbekin). Also he led by example. I’ve got to do the same."

White said he expects Finney-Smith to be the team’s leader after the Virginia Tech transfer emerged as a formidable option last season.

In 2014-15, his first campaign as a starter, Finney-Smith averaged 13.1 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, both team-highs. White is hoping for more of the same this season from a frontcourt that boasts added depth and length.

Along with 6-foot-11 center John Egbunu, who transferred from USF before the 2014-15 season, the Gators added freshmen forwards Kevarrius Hayes and Keith Stone, along with junior college transfer Justin Leon.

"Dorian’s been our best player, and that was expected. We’re going to continue to challenge him to be more and more vocal and to lead," White said. "He’s a guy that the rest of our team looks up to, especially between the lines.

"He’s been there and done that and played significant minutes on the Final Four team. He’s put up big numbers at times in a very, very competitive league. Especially our new guys look to Dorian for that leadership."

Finney-Smith’s decision to return to Florida and postpone his dreams of playing in the NBA helped the Mike White era get off to a positive start.

But Finney-Smith admitted he was on the fence before eventually deciding to come back and finish his career at Florida.

"I just wanted to finish what I started," he said. "Last year, I didn’t want to go out like that. Hopefully I can change that."

With a revamped, deep frontcourt, Finney-Smith now has the opportunity to lead a group of talented young players back to the winning ways that Florida became accustomed to under Donovan.

"We’re going to be pretty good," Finney-Smith said of the frontcourt. "We’ve got to just come together, communicate and talk. We’re playing with new faces."

The Gators are focused on moving on from last year’s disappointing season, and Finney-Smith will play a critical role in Florida’s progression.

His teammates have taken notice of his leadership role on the team, and Devin Robinson said he can already see improvement in Finney-Smith’s leadership skills.

"He’s been a big leader of this program and this team," Robinson said.

"He’s been talking to all the freshmen, all the young guys, trying to get them going. He’s been a better leader than he was last year, for sure."

Follow Alex Maminakis on Twitter @alexmaminakis