<p>Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger, who will retire at the end of the 2011 season, said Florida “certainly” should win Saturday’s game.</p>

Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger, who will retire at the end of the 2011 season, said Florida “certainly” should win Saturday’s game.

With 1:48 left and the Gators trailing by four, UF quarterback Wayne Peace was in trouble. His running lanes were completely closed and his first passing option — the tight end — was covered.

That’s when he noticed fullback James Jones open near the right pylon and lofted a high, wobbly pass in his direction.

Jones stumbled backward, jumped and snatched the ball from the air with only his right hand, securing the game-winning touchdown and propelling Florida to a 17-14 victory over Miami.

The year is 1982, and an 11-year-old Will Muschamp looks on from the crowd.

On the Miami sideline stands head coach Howard Schnellenberger, then in his 23rd year as a coach and fourth season with the Hurricanes.

Now, 29 years later, the two will square off in a game that marks the dawn of Muschamp’s head-coaching career and the beginning of the end for Schnellenberger, who is entering his final year at Florida Atlantic.

“It’s going to be different,” Schnellenberger said. “This will be the last time you have a chance to play Florida… It’s going to become more nostalgic.”

Schnellenberger, who has been a coach for 46 years and a head coach for 26, has finally decided to call it quits.

He’ll still serve as an ambassador to FAU beyond the scope of football, but his time teaching the game will be at its end.

“I’ve given this decision a lot of thought,” Schnellenberger said. “This appeared to be probably the most sensible time to make this announcement.”

Although Schnellenberger has been coaching longer than Muschamp has been alive, the two share similar roots.

Bill Oliver, who Muschamp worked under as a graduate assistant at Auburn and cited as one of his biggest influences, crossed paths with Schnellenberger at Alabama during the ‘60s.

“I felt like [Schnellenberger] was the best developer of quarterbacks and teacher of quarterbacks during that time, and on through the ‘80s, and where he is now today,” Muschamp said. “I have great respect for him and the football team that he’ll bring in here.”

Muschamp expressed admiration for Schnellenberger’s national title at UM, successful renaissance of the Louisville and FAU programs, and even his lasting impact on the Miami Dolphins, which Muschamp noted in person as the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator in 2005.

Schnellenberger was realistic about his team’s chances Saturday, when the Owls will debut a new-look defense and a first-time starter at quarterback in Graham Wilbert.

“If they play a sound game and play a hard-fought game, they certainly should win,” Schnellenberger said.

Still, he said he values one last chance to play against the Gators, a team he said has been very special to him throughout his career.

And he will leave The Swamp this final time with only positive expectations for Muschamp.

“I wish him the very best of luck at Florida,” Schnellenberger said. “I hope it’s a long career.”

Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.