Secondary facing biggest test of season Saturday

<p>Florida cornerback Jaylen Watkins (14) said the Gators’ secondary has to concentrate on taking the ball out of South Carolina receiver Alshon Jeffery’s hands this Saturday.</p>

Florida cornerback Jaylen Watkins (14) said the Gators’ secondary has to concentrate on taking the ball out of South Carolina receiver Alshon Jeffery’s hands this Saturday.

Like every other unit on the team, the Gators’ secondary has been through some tough times.

Against Tennessee and quarterback Tyler Bray, Florida gave up 288 yards through the air.

Against LSU and talented wideout Rueben Randle, UF allowed 215 passing yards on just 14 attempts.

And Saturday against Vanderbilt and quarterback Jordan Rodgers, the Gators’ secondary yielded 220 yards in the second half alone.

But each of those tests pales in comparison to what Florida (5-4, 3-4 Southeastern Conference) will face Saturday at noon when it travels to Columbia, S.C., to take on No. 15 South Carolina (7-2, 5-2 SEC) and superstar wideout Alshon Jeffery.

“He’s a bigger guy, so this week we have to really play into the guy and not go for the ball,” sophomore cornerback Jaylen Watkins said.

“We have to get it out of his hands.”

A second-team All-American last year, Jeffery hauled in 88 passes for 1,517 yards and nine touchdowns.

So far this season he has just 36 catches for 487 yards and five scores, but the numbers aren’t truly indicative of his performance.

“Even though he doesn’t have maybe the same                              production, a lot of the times it’s because people are trying to take care of him,” UF defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said. “That’s a real credit to him.”

Florida’s secondary is a young, inexperienced unit that has thrived against the dregs of the schedule to establish the No. 11 ranking nationally in pass defense.

But the Gators have struggled to generate turnovers on the back end, as they are tied for last in the SEC with just five interceptions.

Watkins said those struggles are a product of defenders not getting their heads turned around in coverage.

“We’re in great position every time, but we seem to lose most of the battles,” Watkins said.

In an attempt to correct the issue, Watkins said he and some of the other defensive backs have started to stay after practice to get extra repetitions.

Watkins specifically cited the work he has done with freshman quarterback Tyler Murphy and sophomore wide receiver Stephen Alli, who all stay after practice nearly every day so Watkins can work on getting his head around in coverage and making a play on the ball.

Watkins said the tangles with Alli, who stands 6-foot-6, have helped him prepare for Saturday’s matchup with the 6-foot-4 Jeffery.

The ability to combat size is part of the reason Watkins, 6-foot, has been playing more snaps across from 6-foot freshman Marcus Roberson than 5-foot-9 sophomore Cody Riggs has in recent weeks.

Riggs started the Gators’ first seven games, but has since been replaced by Watkins.

Speed and length are two of the things Quinn said he looks for in a cornerback, and Watkins fits the bill.

After recording just four tackles and two passes broken up in four games during October, he registered five tackles and two pass breakups against Vanderbilt.

“I was real pleased to see him do that,” Quinn said.

“We’re encouraged by him and each week it’s technique, getting stronger and I think he’s developed.

“And we want to see him getting some more playing time, too.”

Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.