<p><span>Former UF defensive coordinator Dan Quinn calls a play during Florida’s 27-20 victory against Louisiana on Nov. 10 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. </span></p>
<div><span><br /></span></div>

Former UF defensive coordinator Dan Quinn calls a play during Florida’s 27-20 victory against Louisiana on Nov. 10 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. 

Former Florida defensive coordinator Dan Quinn accepted the same position with the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday afternoon. Gators special teams coordinator and linebackers coach D.J. Durkin was promoted to replace Quinn.

“I’m happy for Dan and this opportunity,” coach Will Muschamp said in a statement. “I’ve said before that I always encourage my staff when opportunities arise to take the next step in their career. Dan’s background is in the NFL and this is a great chance to go back to a place he’s familiar with.”

Quinn previously served as the Seahawks defensive line coach for two years before coming to Florida. He rejoins Pete Carroll in Seattle after spending the past two seasons in Gainesville. Quinn fills the void left by former Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, who was hired as the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars on Wednesday.

The Gators ranked ninth in the nation in total defense in 2010 prior to Quinn’s arrival, allowing 306.5 yards per game. The following season, the unit surrendered just 299.5 yards per game, which was good for eighth in the country.

In 2012, the defense showed significant improvement, finishing fifth in the FBS with just 286.7 yards allowed per game and second in pass efficiency defense.

Durkin, who has served as Florida’s special teams coordinator and linebackers coach for the past three seasons, will continue to coach the linebackers in his new position.

“D.J. and I will run the defense, continuing the way that Dan and I did for the past two years,” Muschamp said in the press release. “We will look to add another coach that is the best fit for our staff moving forward.”

The Gators are losing seven defensive starters from their 2012 team: defensive tackles Sharrif Floyd and Omar Hunter, safeties Matt Elam and Josh Evans and linebackers Jon Bostic, Jelani Jenkins and Lerentee McCray.

However, Durkin will have five returning starters and other underclassmen who saw significant playing time last season to work with including cornerbacks Loucheiz Purifoy and Marcus Roberson, defensive linemen Dominique Easley, Jonathan Bullard and Dante Fowler, and linebackers Antonio Morrison, Michael Taylor and Neiron Ball.

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.