Florida soccer relying on depth, experience as season nears end

<p>UF soccer players celebrate a goal during Florida's 5-1 win against Mississippi State on Friday at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

UF soccer players celebrate a goal during Florida's 5-1 win against Mississippi State on Friday at James G. Pressly Stadium.

Some say that winning is all that matters. Others say it’s all about having fun. Luckily, for Florida, it doesn’t have to choose. It has both.

The No. 5 Gators are rolling through their conference schedule as their season begins to wrap up, with five games remaining.

Florida is 6-0 in Southeastern Conference play — the only SEC team without a conference loss — and 11-2 on the season.

And the Gators are loving every minute of it.

"It’s really hard to believe that there’s only five games left," coach Becky Burleigh said. "I think that’s a credit to the fact that every day it’s been really enjoyable."

Burleigh said on Monday how tightly knit Florida team has become and how well they have been able to practice and play together week in and week out.

A big key to Florida’s success this year has also been the large amount of players who returned from last year’s squad.

For every player that played together last year, they know each other very well -- both on and off the field -- which makes playing together this year that much easier.

Florida has eight seniors this season and 19 total players who returned from last year’s team.  

The Gators have only grown stronger in 2014, with eight senior players who are familiar with each other’s strengths and weaknesses.

"We knew all along this was gonna be kind of a special group because of the large senior class and because of it being a pretty intact team from last year’s group," Burleigh said.

The Gators are firing on all cylinders. They haven’t lost a match since Sept. 12 and they continue to beat their opponents with strong goal scorers and tough defense.

But Burleigh said she still believes Florida can improve and continue to develop as a team. She thinks individual players, younger ones who have not been exposed as much, will become important playmakers as they continue to get better.

"I think this team still has room to grow," Burleigh said. "We’re seeing different players emerge…and I think we’re gonna continue to see more players emerge."

Betsy Middleton was one player Burleigh used as an example.

The sophomore transfer from the University of Miami has seen improvement as the season has gone on. Middleton is third on the team with three goals this season and has yet to start a game.

If Florida continues to get stronger as the postseason quickly approaches, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see it in the NCAA Championships in late November.

"For us, I think the sky’s still the limit," Burleigh said.

Follow Alex Maminakis on Twitter @AlexMaminakis