<p>Lauren Haeger pitches during UF's win against UNF on April 1 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</p>

Lauren Haeger pitches during UF's win against UNF on April 1 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

The No. 3 Florida softball team had the game in hand.

UF led 1-0 heading into the seventh inning against North Florida and looked to put the game to rest.

But with one out in the seventh inning, UNF’s Shelby Duncan cranked a towering home run to right field off Delanie Gourley — who entered the game in relief of starter Lauren Haeger — to tie the game.

Walton then threw Haeger back in the circle, and the senior held it down until freshman Janell Wheaton hit a walk-off double in the bottom of the eighth inning as the Gators (33-4) defeated the Ospreys (21-19) 2-1 Wednesday night at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

Haeger and Gourley had combined for a perfect game until the game-tying homer.

Haeger finished with 6.2 perfect innings and struck out 11 batters. The Peoria, Arizona, native’s record now sits at a perfect 15-0.

Walton said Haeger threw more innings than he was planning.

"We just don’t feel like we wanna push her to the limit this early in the season," Walton said.

Florida is now 6-0 against UNF all time.

The Gators threatened in the bottom of the first with back-to-back one out walks, but freshman Kayli Kvistad hit into a fielder’s choice and Haeger popped up to end the inning.

In the second inning, Florida had two runners on from singles from junior Taylore Fuller and sophomore Justine McLean but couldn’t plate them as Kelsey Stewart popped up to short to end the frame.

Once again, UF couldn’t seize an opportunity to score in the third inning.

Freshman Nicole DeWitt was thrown out trying to stretch a leadoff double into a triple and a few batters later Fuller struck out with the bases loaded to end the inning.

The Gators finally put up a run in the fourth inning.

After Stewart ripped a single to right and DeWitt was hit by a pitch, the two completed a double steal of second and third.

Next, junior Kirsti Merritt hit an infield single that bounced off the pitcher’s glove to bring home Stewart and give Florida a 1-0 lead.

Gourley, who replaced Haeger in the circle in the sixth inning, was cruising until she allowed the homer to Duncan.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Wheaton slapped a one-out double to right field that scored Fuller and secured the win.

"It was awesome, coach Walton told me to do what I do," Wheaton said.

"I trusted myself and it worked out."

Next, Florida will play South Carolina for a series this weekend in Gainesville.

The first game against the Gamecocks is set for 6 p.m. on Friday.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12