Arctic Monkeys’ five-year hiatus has come to an end with the release of their sixth studio album, “Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino.”

The album name is no misnomer. Warm vocals and an eerie keyboard synthesizer work together to create an atmosphere nearly identical to that of a haunted hotel in the ‘70s.

From beginning to end, Arctic Monkeys produce a committed listening experience that transports listeners to a spooky yet sexy setting, a rare and tricky combination.

The unique sound stays true to Arctic Monkeys’ formula of captivating lyrics and punchy guitar work. Still, the album marks a turning point for the band with a more mature and luxurious sound.

In previous albums, such as “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not” and “Favourite Worst Nightmare,” a faster pace, heavier drum and more electric guitar are used. Gritty, cheeky teenage rock band vibes ring throughout these albums with hits like “Dancing Shoes.”

In ”Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino,” we see less of the early characteristics synonymous with Arctic Monkeys. The majority of the new album has a slow pace perfect for playing in the background at your first dinner party or a romantic night in.

The songs “Golden Trunks” and “The World’s First Ever Monster Truck Front Flip" are where we see falsetto vocals that are reminiscent of Arctic Monkeys’ previous album “AM.”

“AM” was black leather and silver studded boots. This time around it is all brown suede and brass fixings. Gone are the heavy drums and blaring electric guitar. “Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino” makes great use of organ sounds and smooth vocals. The sound on this album is something fresh for the band but not a complete shock.

Slow jams like “505” and “Mad Sounds” were sprinkled throughout prior albums. But now, Arctic Monkeys has given us an album full of songs set at a leisurely pace.

On “Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino,” the songs melt into one another with seamless transitions. Each song complements the one before it. “One Point Perspective” and “American Sports” are an example of this.

All 11 songs work together to tell the story of a hotel and casino on Tranquility Base, the site where man first walked on the moon.

Frontman Alex Turner’s lyrical writing paints the picture of a futuristic moon colony, complete with its own rooftop taco stand. The opening song “Star Treatment” sets the sexy, smoky atmosphere:

“Love came in a bottle with a twist-off cap... Let’s all have a swig and do a hot lap.”

Celestial and technological themes are weaved throughout the tracks. They can be seen on “Four Out of Five”:

“Lunar surface on a Saturday night, dressed up in silver and white.”

These themes can also be seen in “Batphone”:

“Have I told you all about the time that I got sucked into a hole through a handheld device?”

Songs like “Four Out of Five” command us to “take it easy for a little while” with its reassuring sound that is a reminder of a night out with old friends.

“Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino” demonstrates Arctic Monkeys’ capability to create a distinct listening experience. We have seen Turner’s musical work in film before with the 2010 film, “Submarine.” This most recent release by the band begs the question, is there another cinematic collaboration in the near future?

Although Arctic Monkeys are currently on a worldwide tour, one can dream velvet-covered dreams that they find the time to give us a chilling movie soundtrack.

Arctic Monkeys manage to stay true to themselves with the compelling lyrics and eccentric storytelling that fans have seen from them since the beginning. “Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino” should satisfy fans that have been waiting for the band to release new music.

Those looking for something comparable to previous albums like “AM” will be dissatisfied. No fast-paced bops are to be found on “Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino,” only melodious, well-produced tracks that transport listeners to a place yet to be invented.