Eastside High School graduate Wadooah Wali is now a Los Angeles filmmaker with an award-winning documentary screening Saturday.

“When I was a little girl, I told my parents that I wanted to write, direct and produce stories in TV and film,” Wali said. “Being practical people, they told me that there weren’t any successful black female writers, directors, producers.”

Now, “Gaze of the Beholder,” Wali’s documentary on beauty, body image and self-acceptance, has touched people throughout the nation and overseas.

“It’s nice to see that kind of success and it’s good to see her coming back to where she came from,” said Nailah Summers, co-coordinator of the event.

The special one-night screening begins at 7:30 p.m. at the Civic Media Center, located at 433 S. Main St.

“It’s been an incredible journey,” Wali said on her documentary, which not only highlights her own personal journey but also features TV personality Carson Daly and Olympic Athlete Karina LeBlanc.

Wali’s younger sister, Chania Wali, came up with the idea of bringing the film back to Gainesville. 

Chania, who works at Maude’s Sidecar Bar, is interviewed on the film as well.

“The combination of her just being proud of me as her older sister, but also just wanting to bring that back to the home crowd was appealing,” Wali said.