Roy Wood$ is a 20-year-old rapper from Brampton, Ontario, currently signed to Drake’s October’s Very Own Sound record label. He first gained a lot of attention when he and Drake debuted their song “Drama” in July 2015, and last Friday, nearly a year later, Wood$ finally released his debut album, “Waking at Dawn.” It’s already one of my favorite albums to come out in this stacked year for hip-hop and R&B, and I’m going to break down the ten-song album.

Even if you’ve never listened to Wood$, you’ll get an idea of his sound on the first song, “Sonic Boom.” He floats over the short intro of echoed instrumental and layered vocals, and at first listen, “Sonic Boom” is reminiscent of The Weeknd’s early work.

On the second track, “You Love It,” Wood$ spits a couple dope rap verses over a simple but smooth beat. This song displays his versatility by rapping and singing, and it shows he’s more than the typical R&B artist. With his singing, he shows he doesn’t need a featured artist on this song or the album.

Next up is “Gwan Big Up Urself,” and “Waking at Dawn” switches styles for the third time in the first three songs. Wood$ hits us with a dancehall song and mixes Toronto and Jamaican slang throughout the three-minute song. On “How I Feel,” he sings over a more “trap” R&B beat. You can hear why he’s signed to OVO Sound on this song.

“Down Girl,” an upbeat hip-hop record, is easily my favorite song. Wood$ uses rap/hip-hop to describe his ideal girl; it’s a song you can party to, but you can also sit back and vibe with.

When you’re a 20-year-old who’s signed to one of the most successful artists in the world, people are going to want to be your friend because of your status. Wood$ confronts his issues with the people around him on “Switch.” Following “Switch” is “Got Me,” which continues the slower vibe until the beat drop at the hook. He reaffirms his connection with the girl he’s talking to in a life where he’s always on the road and surrounded by women.

On “Why,” you can once again hear the R&B sound that’s been made popular by artists such as The Weeknd and PartyNextDoor. On “Menace,” he stays with the slower sound that begins the album’s homestretch into “She Knows About Me.” It’s the perfect end to the album.

Wood$ may not be on everybody’s radar yet, but he’s one song away from a Billboard Hot 100 hit, and he certainly has the qualities to stick around. “Waking at Dawn” is one of the strongest debut albums I’ve heard in a while, and I can only imagine what else he has in store. Watch out for Roy Wood$ and most certainly give this album a listen.