Sunday, June 02, 2024

Now that UF has decided on a budget cut target for the 2009-2010 fiscal year, the question becomes: What can be cut?

This year, with more time and a little experience working in the university's favor, the answers may come from some new places.

UF's Faculty Senate, for instance, has decided to establish a budget cut blog on its Web site.

Frank Bova, Senate chair, said the blog will be a place for faculty to come together and honestly discuss the cuts.

Bova said he hopes the blog will be up and running by the end of the month.

Also in the works is a Web site to display information and updates about UF's budget situation, said UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes.

Once colleges and administrative units have prepared their budget proposals, they will be posted on the site for the public to see, Sikes said.

UF plans to launch the site today, Sikes said. A link will be posted at www.ufl.edu.

Meanwhile, Student Senate President Jordan Johnson said the Senate will be hosting town hall-like forums at each of UF's colleges to gather student input on the cuts.

An ad hoc budget cut committee will also be created to oversee all of the efforts relating to cuts, he said.

Frank Bracco, a UF political science senior and former student senator, said while senators help colleges decide which cuts to make, he hopes Student Government will take a look at its own budget. Spending almost $17,000 for 16 recycling bins at the Reitz Union is a good example of wasteful spending, he said.

"You or I could've built (them) for $200," he said.

Update: Faculty Senate's new blog: http://blog.senate.ufl.edu