Saturday, June 01, 2024

For Matt Ivester, the "juice" just wasn't worth the squeeze.

The founder of Juicy Campus announced that the online gossip site will be shutting down today in the wake of the current economic crisis.

Students at colleges across the country can let out a collective sigh of relief, as they no longer have to fear becoming fodder for the site's frenzied followers.

In a world where Juicy Campus was alive and kicking, college coeds were forced to think twice before engaging in a questionable hookup or wearing bunny pajamas to lecture.

For some, waking up to see their name on the site spelled nothing short of social suicide. If Joe Jock spent the overnight shagging his physics TA, you could be sure someone would quickly bring the entire campus up to speed. The anonymous nature of the site meant best friends could take turns backstabbing each other by leaking secrets without fear of repercussion.

But there was backlash.

From students ending up in jail for making threats to relationships ending over allegations of infidelity, one would be hard-pressed to identify any redeeming quality of JuicyCampus.com.

The Editorial Board takes delight in the fact that this deplorable site now ceases to exist. Perhaps Ivester created Juicy Campus with hopes of providing another entertaining distraction for students, but it was only a harbinger for hate.

While Juicy Campus may be no more, at least we can still count on Blair Waldorf to continue ruining Dan Humphrey's life with her ill-intended texts on "Gossip Girl."