Sunday, June 16, 2024

News from Washington reveals word of critical steps being taken to increase security along the Mexican border, with hopes of controlling drug cartel-related violence.

According to an article in The New York Times, the presence of federal agents will be increased, along with more surveillance equipment to deter illegal traffic moving on both sides of the border. This marks the first time in U.S. history that attention will be paid to movement into Mexico by the federal government. Specifically, highly modernized X-ray machines will be installed at various entry points along the border, and $30 million from the economic stimulus has been allocated to provide support to law enforcement based in the region.

The Editorial Board applauds the Obama Administration for taking a proactive approach to increasing the security along the Mexico border. With a great deal of violence among the drug cartels in cities such as Tijuana, located right on the U.S. border, inaction on the part of the U.S. government would have resulted in negative effects for American communities just a stone's throw away from the mayhem. Tuesday's revelation comes in the wake of Congress already setting aside $700 million to aid Mexico in the war on drugs with sophisticated aircraft and education on how to improve the country's current legal system.

While we generally think of Spring Break when talking about safety concerns in Mexico, we must mention that more than 7,000 people have been killed during the last 14 months - a bit more important than drugs, sex and house music.