"Weather is a great metaphor for life - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella."

Pepper Giardino probably uttered this often-quoted phrase long before multicolored rain boots and custom-print umbrellas hit the scene. Nowadays, there's a lot you can do about a rainy situation. And better yet, you can do it with style.

For one reason or another, people tend to assume that gloomy skies require gloomy attire. At UF, this is rarely the case. Walking around campus on a rainy day is almost like going to an art festival.

Boots and umbrellas act like canvases that display patterns - from zebra prints to polka dot, flowers to skulls - it's all stretched across those rambunctious rubber boots. Students bustle across the wet ground sheltered by a canopy of umbrellas, each its own work of art - florals, stripes, paisleys, Monet's - they're all covered.

The parade of candy-colored rain gear is enough to have anyone looking forward to the next thunderstorm.

But still some people insist on wearing the gloomy weather on their sleeves, with baggy sweats and clunky sneakers, when there's really no need for the clothing to reflect the atmosphere. It's fun and easy to stay stylish even on the dreariest days.

With weather this blue your outfit should be a way of changing the mood.

UF business and advertising student, Amanda Freilich knows this. Despite the wet streets, she sports an outfit that defines fashion-meets-function. With an American Apparel hoodie, leggings and Converse, she stays cute and comfortable.

To cop her look, pick up an umbrella with a playful pattern, (Freilich found hers at Publix), and wear it with neutral-colored clothing that have some colors found in the umbrella's design. Leggings are perfect for the rain; they avoid the heavy drag of wet jeans.

Finally, slip on closed-toe shoes, like Sperry Top-Siders, sneakers or flats, so that your feet don't get cold.

If wild-patterned boots or umbrellas can't be found in your closet, don't fret. You can still turn heads by borrowing a color from the rainbow. Bright clothes don't only stand out against the natural gray backdrop, but the color also provides confidence that will help brighten your day.

The fashion forecast for the rest of the summer is sure to include more outrageous rain gear to get you excited for the next drizzly day. But be sure to always have your foldable umbrella, because summer weather can be just as spontaneous as you are.