Sunday, June 16, 2024

For two American journalists jailed in North Korea, the simple act of illegally entering the country may cost them more than a decade of their freedom.

Word out of Asia reveals Laura Ling and Euna Lee, employees of California media venture Current TV, were sentenced to 12 years of hard labor on Monday after being arrested in March. According to an article on CNN.com, the United States, through the works of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, remains busy maneuvering the release of the two women through diplomatic means. In a letter to a North Korean official, Clinton made mention of important personal details about each woman - revealing Ling's poor medical history and the fact Lee has a young daughter.

Beyond Clinton, proposed efforts include sending an accomplished diplomat such as New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson or former Vice President Al Gore to remedy the situation.

Fortunately for the women, North Korean custom calls for a trial to take place before responding to any pleas made by a foreign country. Now that the trial is over, North Korea may be more willing to deal with the United States and arrange a deal to release Ling and Lee.

What could help make the negotiations run smoothly is the fact that the two countries have agreed to keep the matter of the two journalists separate from any nuclear power-related squabbles.

While the ordeal has been arduous for both Ling and Lee, optimism remains high that the United States' diplomatic efforts will win over a nation riddled by archaic ideology.