Famed West coast rock band Rooney is coming to Gainesville.

The band, perhaps best known for the songs “I’m Shakin’” and “Blueside” in addition to its guest appearance on “The O.C.,” will be stopping in Gainesville on July 8 to perform at Common Grounds and promote its new album, “Eureka.”

After recently splitting with its record label, the four-man band released its third full-length album on June 8.

Ned Brower, Rooney’s drummer and vocalist, spoke with me about its new album and coast-to-coast tour.

Brower said the idea for the title of the CD is based on California’s state seal, where it says “eureka” across the top of the emblem. To go with the title, the album cover resembles the state seal but with the four band-mates posing in the background.

In 1999, the band released its first CD, “Rooney,” that also showed off its California pride by designing the album cover to resemble California’s state flag. Other CD releases by Rooney include “Calling the World,” in 2007, and “Wild One EP,” in 2009.

But, unlike Rooney’s previous albums, “Eureka” was produced after discontinuing its label contract with Geffen/Interscope Records.

Splitting away from the label hasn’t taken away from the production or creativity of the CD, Brower said. If anything, the sounds in this album are coming from the band more literally.

“Eureka” is the first album to be produced under Rooney’s personal label, California Dreamin’ Records.

“You can hear the individual performances and the voices better than before,” Brower said.

When arranging the lyrics and songs, the band has made an effort to work as a group and take chances on new music styles.

The music is more sophisticated in “Eureka,” Brower said. Some of the songs have a ‘70s jazz-rock feel while others give off a psychedelic vibe.

Generally, Robert Schwartzman, the lead vocalist, writes the songs in his head, and the band arranges the music together. On occasion, the other three members, Ned Brower, Taylor Locke and Louie Stevens, will take turns brainstorming lyrics.

Brower said it takes around two days to record each song.

Recently, Rooney’s headlining single off “Eureka,” “I Can’t Get Enough,” made VH1’s Top 20 Countdown premiere list online.

“The music video is unlike anything before,” Brower said. “There’s stunt rollerskating, animation and live action.”

Rooney fan or not, the splits in rollerskates, back-up dancers dressed in 1970s flare and vibrant neon colors that resemble the late ‘60s are sure to grab viewer’s attention.

On June 16, Rooney kicked off its tour in San Diego, Calif. to promote “Eureka” and will finish in Austin, Texas, in August.

If a show is coming up soon, rehearsals are taken seriously, Brower said. But, before each performance, Rooney gets ready to perform by vocally warming up and doing a cheer before going on stage.

With the upcoming Gainesville show a week away, I was curious to know what the West Coast natives knew about the town.

“Tom Petty,” Brower said.