The UF College of Education announced Monday its new dean - Glenn Good.

Good, 57, was the associate dean for administration, research and performance excellence at the University of Missouri. He said he was urged by colleagues and friends to apply for the UF position.

"UF is a world-class university," Good said. "The College of Education is highly regarded, and I just want to help it reach a greater excellence."

Good said his new position at UF is similar to what he did at Missouri. The biggest difference, he said, will be his involvement with UF donors.

Good said he will be making $240,000 a year. He will start Sept. 29.

Good graduated from the University of California, Davis, with his bachelor's degree. He moved on to receive his master's degree from the University of Oregon, according to an email from UF Provost Joe Glover. Good graduated with a Ph.D. from Ohio State University, specializing in counseling psychology.

He joined the University of Missouri in 1990 and was named mentor/adviser of the year by the College of Education. He has won a number of awards, including the Graduate Professional Council's Gold Chalk Award for graduate instruction, according to Glover's email.

He was named Researcher of the Year twice for the Society for the Psychological Study of Men and Masculinity and served as chair of the Missouri Psychology Licensing Board, Glover said in the email.

Good is the author or co-author of five books and about 88 published journal reports and book chapters on counseling and psychotherapy.

Although most of his time will be spent working on campus, he looks forward to participation in triathlons, specifically the swimming and cycling portions of them, he said.

"I am looking forward to every aspect of being a Gator, especially meeting the students and making the College of Education what they need it to be to succeed," he said.