Corporation for Travel Promotion becomes Brand USA

The U.S. is now "the United States of Awesome Possibilities" — at least that's how America is trying to rebrand itself.

Unlike other countries, the U.S. never had a unified marketing system for tourism. Last year, Congress formed the Corporation for Travel Promotion for that purpose, and on Monday, the group unveiled a new name — Brand USA.

As Brand USA Inc., the group introduced its global brand strategy of representing the diversity of the people and the land, before an international audience in London.

This new strategy is the first step in unifying American tourism.

"The first official advertising and marketing campaign to lure in visitors for leisure, business and scholarly purposes will begin in the spring of 2012", said an International Business Times article.

However, the website is up and running at discoveramerica.com.

The logo downplays patriotism. It is the words "USA" with multicolor dots; it is supposed to represent the new brand of "awesome possibilities."

Check out the new campaign on its website. What do you think? Will this bring more travelers to the U.S, or will the cheesy name make potential tourists rethink their destination?

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Wednesdays.