Percentage of international students did not increase this year

Pennsylvania now attracts more international students to its university campuses than does sunny Florida.

The Sunshine State has fallen from sixth to seventh place in the number of international students at its universities, according to the 2011 Open Doors report published by the the Institute of International Education.

The Keystone State had a 9 percent increase in international students last year, passing Florida, the only state in the top 10 that didn't experience a percentage increase.

The report found that the number of international students in Florida increased from 29,708 students during the 2009-10 school year to 29,719 in 2010-11.

However, the total number of international students in the U.S. increased by five percent from last year.

That increase is largely due to a 23 percent rise in Chinese students studying in the U.S., according to the report.

California holds the top spot for hosting the most international students, followed by New York and Texas.

UF has the highest number of international students in the state, with 5,393 registered during the 2010-11 year.

Jan Sohl, a 22-year-old economics student from Germany, said he chose to study at UF after his friend gave it a good recommendation.

"I wanted to see the U.S. anyway," he said. "And there's good weather."