On July 30, 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed a resolution declaring the phrase "In God We Trust" the official motto of the U.S.

The motto also first appeared on U.S. currency in 1864. The phrase has a lot of meaning for the U.S., but it also has been the subject of controversy.

Critics of the motto argue that it violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment and view it as respecting only monotheistic religions.

Some supporters claim that the country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles or at least with some respect to a higher power, making the motto symbolic of our heritage. For instance, the Declaration of Independence says that people are "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights."

Others make nothing of the motto, claiming that it has lost almost all religious meaning through mere repetition.

Regardless of where you fall on the argument, most agree that the government should not force anyone to recite or adhere to this motto.

Well, unless you drive up I-75 North to Atlanta.

State Senator Bill Heath, R-Bremen, proposed legislation for the upcoming session, which would require that all Georgia license plates bear the phrase "In God We Trust."

Previously, motorists could pay $1 for a sticker to put on their plate to display the phrase.

Heath believes that people shouldn't have to go through all of that trouble to show their love of faith and country. He wants to make the motto the default phrase on new license plates, starting July 1 of next year.

Those who would not like the motto on their license plate can pay a fee (probably $1) to get a county sticker to cover it.

The fact that motorists have to pay a fee is not the problem. It would not matter if the fee was one cent or one dollar; people should not have to pay extra to refrain from putting a religious symbol on their car.

Many non-religious people or polytheists (those who believe in multiple gods) may not care either way about the change, but those who believe in individual liberty should view this proposal with scrutiny.

If Georgia wants to allow people to show pride in their country or in their faith, it should give people the ability to choose among a few license plates without an extra fee.

The bigger question here is what are these legislators trying to accomplish? Do they think that by somehow putting the motto on the back of everyone's car, it will somehow create a revival of religious sentiment throughout the state?

Or are they trying to look like the pro-religion candidate for the 2012 election?

Shoving a motto down someone's throat won't make him or her more religious. Let's hope that Georgia voters take the side of religious freedom in the next election.