How to Find to the Best Post-Grad Digs on a Budget

For the thousands of students preparing to graduate in the next few months, there’s a lesson to be learned that you won’t find in a textbook — figuring out where to live after you graduate.

While the decision is different for each of us, some will return home to save money, others will move across the country to pursue a dream job, it is important to think about the best strategy to find an affordable and enjoyable place to live that will help you thrive in your post-grad career.

Before you start looking up listings on Craigslist or call mom and dad, there are some steps you can start taking now to better prepare for the jump into living on your own.

1. Know your budget

Once you figure out where you will be moving for your job and how much your starting salary will be, break out the Excel budget sheets or turn to sites like Mint to start working on a cost-of-living budget. Even if you are one of the lucky few with a well-paying job lined up right after you move out of Gainesville, finding an affordable place to live will give you more money to spend on going out or taking trips back home to visit family. Plus, nobody likes missing out on a good deal, especially one that can save you thousands in rent money over the year.

Visit sites like Zillow, Trulia, My New Place or PadMapper for help finding a rental on a national scale. For a more personalized search option, visit a region-specific rental finder to find a perfect fit in accommodations ranging from Orlando apartments to beach-front studios.

Don’t count out dorm living just yet either; if you are moving to a big city for a short internship or training period, reach out to local universities to see how much they rent out dorm rooms to visiting students.

2. Tap into your personal network

When researching possible communities to move in to, get insider information from friends and family already living there. Whether it’s a best friend from middle school or a great aunt, reconnect with anyone you know living in the area for a straight answer about the best and worst parts of each area.

Besides an honest critique of the city, having connections can also help in your search for a roommate. Reach out to friends on Facebook or LinkedIn groups to find a potential new roommate or just a friendly face in a new city.

3. Don’t be afraid to enlist help

Stuck on deciding which area to move to or don’t have time to go on an apartment hunt by yourself? Call up a local realtor to get help on everything from finding an apartment in your price range to finalizing a deal with a headstrong landlord.

Legal issues can be quick to arise in the lease signing process and tricky wording can leave you on the wrong side of the deal, so the benefits of having a realtor to guide you through your first lease experience can be worth the cost.

4. Consider the factors you won’t compromise on

Can’t stand to be more than five minutes away from the center of downtown, or is the safety of suburban living more your style? Make a list of things you want to get out of your new home that will help and keep you happy with your new arrangements.

Some important things to consider are: size of the apartment, proximity to nightlife, commute time to work, private or open community, homeowners association dues, utilities included and community perks like a free gym or access to a pool.

Have any tips you’ve picked up from going on an apartment search? Share them below.