In a society where the quantity of our food often outshines its quality, we forget the purpose of food is to fuel our bodies with nutrients. Increasing your diet with nutrient-dense foods will increase energy levels, help maintain a healthy weight, clear skin, and improve your overall bodily function.

Vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and grains can provide you with these essential nutrients when cooked and prepared as close to their natural state as possible. However, some of these foods are much more dense in nutrients than others. These are dubbed “superfoods.”

Superfoods are defined as “a nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being,” according to Merriam-Webster dictionary. The term was originally coined by marketers, but many nutritionists believe superfoods are a valid name for the most nutritionally dense foods.

Here is a list of the most common and dense superfoods (in no specific order):

Wheatgrass

The nutritional content of wheatgrass is equivalent to that of fresh vegetables.

It carries chlorophyll, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes that reduce inflammation and detoxify the liver. Wheatgrass has high levels of magnesium. Wheatgrass helps detoxify the body and cleanse the colon. It has high levels of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that helps protect your body from free radicals. Iron, calcium and amino acids are also abundant in wheatgrass.

Kale

Although kale is bitter to taste, the lettuce makes up for it as one of the most nutrient-dense leafy greens. Kale contains more than your daily recommended servings of vitamin A, C and K. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Vitamin B-6, Calcium, Potassium and Copper.

Spinach

A more popular lettuce, nonetheless spinach is extremely beneficial to your health. It provides more than your daily-recommended serving of vitamin A and C and is a great source for Folate. Spinach is also a good source for Niacin, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B-6, Calcium, Iron and Potassium.

Asaparagus

Asparagus, not a favorite to many, but should be added to your grocery list. It’s high inPotassium and other vitamins and minerals including calcium, fiber, iron, magnesium, selenium, zinc, phosphorous and B vitamins.

Spirulina

Spirulina is a highly nutritious micro salt-water plant. It contains vegetable protein three times greater than fish or beef. This sea plant is a great source for protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, iron, magnesium and potassium. Altogether, spirulina contains over 100 nutrients. One three-gram serving of this contains more nutrients than five servings of fruits and vegetables.

Broccoli

That green flower head we once feared as little children feared at the dinner is in fact a superfood. Your mother told you to eat it, and she was right. Broccoli is packed with vitamin C, vitamin A and folate. Thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6 and pantothenic acid are also a source from the vegetable.

Sweet potatoes

Sweet potato fries may not be considered a superfood, but its relative the baked sweet potato falls into the category. These root vegetables are one of nature’s best sources for beta-carotene. It’s also a source of vitamin C, manganese, fiber, B vitamins, potassium and iron. The Whole Foods company considers sweet potatoes one of the healthiest vegetables we eat.

Watermelon

Not just a summertime delight - watermelons are mostly made up of water and sugar, however they contain a great amount of potassium, magnesium, vitamin A and C.

Strawberries

One serving of strawberries contains 160 percent of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin C. Strawberries are also high in folate, potassium and a very good source of dietary fiber

Blueberries

A study published in a 2005 edition of "Nutritional Neuroscience" found that diets rich in blueberries significantly improved the learning capacity, memory and motor skills of aging rats. Blueberries are a great source of dietary fiver, vitamin C and vitamin K.

Kiwi

Feeling sick? Strengthen your immune system with kiwi. It contains twice as much vitamin C as an orange. Kiwi fruit is also outranks bananas for potassium content.

It’s a good source for dietary fiber, vitamin E, potassium, vitamin C, folic acid and vitamin K.

Avocado

Avocados surpass bananas in potassium and contain 400 less grams of sugar.

The fruit is loaded with vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin B-6, vitamin C, folate and monounsaturated fats. Avocado is a healthy fat that helps burn on

Salmon

This fish is an excellent source for protein with 40 grams per one-half fillet. It’s loaded with vitamin B-2-3-6-12, selenium, omega-3 fatty acids, phosphorus, thiamin and niacin.

Whole eggs

Whole eggs are one of the most nutrient dense foods. However, overcooking eggs, such as scrambled, will not give you all the benefits this superfood has to offer.

They are low in calories and loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin B2.

Quinoa

One of the trendiest grains of today, though quinoa is in fact not a grain. It has the make up of a seed, however it is classified as a grain. Quinoa is a popular grain for those on a gluten-free diet. It’s extremely low on the glycemic index compared to any other grain. Quinoa is a great source for protein, fiber, iron, folate, phosphorus and magnesium among other nutrients.

Flax and chia seeds

These seeds are the richest source for plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. They’re loaded with antioxidants, protein, calcium, phosphorus, plus soluble and insoluble fiber to help keep your digestion moving in the right direction. Flax and chia seeds must be ground for absorption in the body.

Flax comes from the linseed plant, while chia comes from the salvia plant, a member of the mint family. The seeds of both plants are pressed into oils that nutritionists, dietitians and other health practitioners recommend for their high nutrient content.

Almonds

Many nutritionists suggest eating an ounce a day of almonds to help curb appetite and prevent weight gain. This nut contains good amounts of protein, fiber, omega-6 fatty acids, vitamin E, magnesium and riboflavin.

Dark chocolate

In order to consider this dessert a superfood, the chocolate must be above 80 percent cacao, which is considered to be very bitter. Cocoa beans, its basic ingredient, are rich in flavanols and good fats including, oleic acid, palmitic acid and stearic acid.

Make sure to choose chocolate free of milk. Research has shown milk to interfere with absorption of antioxidants.