Researchers find link between music and a better workout

A new study found that creating music while exercising might make workouts more effective, but some locals are hesitant to concur.

In the study, researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognition and Brain Sciences installed electronic kits into various exercise machines that would musically respond to the person using the machine. Participants who used the machines generated smoother movements, used less oxygen and reported exercise felt less strenuous.

But Heather Hausenblas, a UF exercise psychologist, said she’s skeptical about whether the same results could be duplicated.

“They were distracted from their workout and focusing on the music they were making, so it seemed that they were putting less effort into their workout,” she said.

Sheila Gardner, director of group fitness at Gainesville Health & Fitness Center, said she’s unsure if there’s an advantage to creating music over listening to music while working out.

“I’ve had classes before where you can just feel the energy leaving the room, and usually the first thing I do is say, ‘Let’s change the song,’” Gardner said.

Raphael Konforti, a 22-year-old UF sports management graduate student and a personal trainer, said the old standby of listening to a personal iPod at the gym is probably just as good.

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 10/28/2013 under the headline "Making music can make exercise better"