Monday, June 17, 2024

Mother’s Pub to host UFC video game event this Saturday

Mixed martial arts fans can do more than just watch Saturday’s Ultimate Fighting Championship matches at Mother’s Pub and Grill — they can play it. 

EA Sports will showcase its UFC fighting game at the pub, located at 1017 W. University Ave., at 10 p.m.

Customers can play it on the PlayStation 4 against each other before watching the UFC 181 event.

EA Sports will raffle off prizes, like versions of the game for both PS4 and Xbox One, along with company T-shirts, said the company’s college-representative program manager, Summer Bradley.

“We come out, bring the game and hook them up with prizes and T-shirts,” Bradley said. “It’s just a lot of fun.”

Gainesville is the last stop on EA Sports’ UFC College Tour, which included 29 other college campuses and began after the game was released in June. 

“We love Florida,” Bradley said. “We really go after schools with the best sports programs.”

EA Sports did not pay the restaurant to host the event, Bradley said.

She said Mother’s is excited because EA Sports has been informing people about the pub airing the fight. 

Zach Dauth, a part-time bar manager at Mother’s, said he looks forward to the event because EA Sports creates a friendly and inviting environment. 

“Those guys are great,” he said. “Of course we’re excited.”

Anthony Saavedra, the company’s UF representative, said he expects about 100 people to see the matches and attend the event.

“A lot of people go to bars with friends to watch a fight or a game, but they don’t expect a console to be there,” the 22-year-old said. “It’s very engaging.”

Saavedra, a UF industrial engineering senior, said Saturday’s event will be the third one he has worked for the company as a representative this semester. Saavedra anticipates that about 50 people will actually play the game this weekend.

“Our sole purpose is to just get people to try out the game,” he said.