Locals to learn the art of fermentation at Saturday festival

Gainesville residents can learn how to make anything from beer to goat cheese this weekend.

The Florida Skill-Share Alliance will host its first Fermentation Fest Saturday from from 3 to 9 p.m. at the Wilhelmina Johnson Resource Center, at 321 NW 10th St. 

The Fermentation Fest will offer events all afternoon, including hands-on workshops hosted by local fermentation experts, nutrition-based presentations, trade circles and live music by Mama Trish, a local musician. Admission to the event is free, but a donation of $5 to $10 is suggested. Workshop topics include fermenting breads, cheeses, spices, sodas, beers, wines and other food and beverages.

The donations will be equally split between the Wilhelmina Johnson Center and future projects, said Sarah Cervone, one of the alliance’s co-organizers.

Of the 14 scheduled workshops, alliance co-organizer Joe Pierce will host one on sourdough fermentation.

“Sourdough fermentation has become more and more popular and interesting to the public,” Pierce said. “Health awareness and local food is a big part of that.”

Fermentation produces good bacteria and probiotics, which aid in digestion and strengthen the immune system, Cervone said, adding the fermentation process makes it easier for the body to absorb nutrients.

“People have been fermenting their food for thousands of years,” Cervone said.  “It is only recently that we began eating what we refer to as ‘dead food,’” or manufactured food.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 3/26/2015 under the headline “Locals to learn the art of fermentation at Saturday festival”]

Nutritional benefits of fermented foods by Woody Blue

Kefir by Gabriela Waschewsky

Kombucha by Kelsey Elizabeth and Emily Snickerdoodle

Sourdough by Joe Pierce and Mosswood Farmstore

Goat cheese in a day by Lucy York

Tempe by Jose, Damian and Frances

Black Garlic by Mark Borkin

Ciders & Mead by Conner Lassiter

Homebrew beer by (TBD)

Sauerkraut by Sarah and Wild Man Foods

Kimchi by Casey and Wild Man Foods

Tea by Radical Press Coffee Collective and Michael Garvin

Beet Kvaas by Kelly Carvalis