Comedian to talk stereotypes as part of Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month is hosting a comedy night to break stereotypes of the Hispanic community.

The student organization is bringing comedian Ruperto Vanderpool to perform for about an hour at the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom today at 7:30 p.m., after students from the improvisational comedy group Theatre Strike Force perform at 7 p.m. People who attend the free event, which will

offer food, should leave proud of who they are, no matter what they look like, said Justin Ortiz, one of the co-directors of the event.

He said the organization wants to break Hispanic stereotypes.

“The team’s been working since April (to put together the event), so hopefully the hard work will pay off,” the 19-year-old UF applied physiology and kinesiology sophomore said.

The month’s theme is “embrace” to help students accept their own culture. This event is just one part of that, he said.

“Embrace who you are, break barriers and don’t let anyone bring you down,” Ortiz said.

Mario Agosto, 20, said he is not a personal fan of Vanderpool, but he’s looking forward to the event.

The UF criminology and law junior said he plans on attending the show with other members of the Hispanic Student Association.

Agosto, the HSA president, said he’s attended events similar to the comedy show and is hoping this one will be even better than last year’s.

“It’s always a really good time, but we strive to have events be better and better every year,” he said.