Notebook: Zaire lone bright spot in loss; Toney, Cleveland ineffective in return

<p>UF quarterback Malik Zaire <span id="docs-internal-guid-99dae7d2-65c1-4393-62f2-48f3b702bd3c"><span>led Florida’s lone scoring drive of the game, a 9-play, 71-yard series that ended in a 1-yard touchdown run by Mark Thompson, on Saturday in the Gators' 42-7 loss against Georgia at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.</span></span></p>

UF quarterback Malik Zaire led Florida’s lone scoring drive of the game, a 9-play, 71-yard series that ended in a 1-yard touchdown run by Mark Thompson, on Saturday in the Gators' 42-7 loss against Georgia at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.

When examining Florida’s 42-7 loss — one in which UF’s offense appeared lifeless, its defense appeared lethargic and its coach appeared unsure of his job security — there was at least one positive to glean from the Gators’ performance: Malik Zaire.

The graduate transfer quarterback entered the game to start the fourth quarter in place of struggling Feleipe Franks and played well. He led Florida’s lone scoring drive of the game, a 9-play, 71-yard series that ended in a 1-yard touchdown run by Mark Thompson. Zaire completed three of his six passes for 36 yards and rushed twice for 30 yards.

For the Gators, Zaire’s scoring drive was a welcome relief. Florida avoided snapping its streak of 368 games without being shutout by its opponent, the longest streak in the nation.

It was also a welcome sight for an offense that had been struggling all game under Franks.

The redshirt freshman had arguably his worst game in a Florida uniform on Saturday, completing seven of his 19 passes for 30 yards, one interception, two fumbles and five sacks.

“I just put all that on my back. It all boils down to me,” Franks said. “I gotta do a better job.”

McElwain agreed.

“We haven’t been good on offense. I get it,” McElwain said. “We’ve won a few games, but we haven’t won enough.”

Toney, Franks ineffective in return:

Two key Florida playmakers returned against Georgia, but it didn’t make much of a difference.

Freshman playmaker Kadarius Toney and sophomore receiver Tyrie Cleveland played in Saturday’s game after both had been dealing with injuries. Cleveland had one catch for 5 yards, while Toney rushed once for negative 1 yard and caught one pass for 8 yards.

After the game, McElwain said both may have re-aggravated their injuries.

“They covered us well,” Franks said of Georgia. “I thought that’s what it boiled down to.”

Cleveland leads Florida with 16 catches for 331 yards and two touchdowns, while Toney has 117 rushing yards, third most on the team, and 115 yards receiving, fourth most on the team.

Malik Davis injured:

Freshman running back Malik Davis suffered a knee injury in the first quarter, McElwain said. Davis was pulled from the game and taken into a tent on the sideline before leaving for the locker room with trainers.

Davis is having a breakout season in his first year at Florida. The freshman has 526 rushing yards, the most among a UF running back group that includes sophomore Lamical Perine and redshirt senior Mark Thompson.

Other injury notes:

Redshirt sophomore linebacker Kylan Johnson injured his hamstring. Sophomore defensive lineman Jachai Polite injured his shoulder.

You can follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb, and contact him at icohen@alligator.org.