<p>Justin Long speaks at the Reitz Union in support of President Obama on Wednesday evening. Long encouraged students to educate themselves on candidates’ platforms, get registered to vote and cast their votes locally.</p>

Justin Long speaks at the Reitz Union in support of President Obama on Wednesday evening. Long encouraged students to educate themselves on candidates’ platforms, get registered to vote and cast their votes locally.

One of President Barack Obama’s greatest grassroots supporters may be a college dropout and a self-proclaimed clown, but that didn’t deter UF students from taking political advice from him Wednesday evening.

About 150 students gathered at the Reitz Union to hear actor Justin Long share stories of being too small to play high school football, meeting Obama and learning the importance of not voting for Ralph Nader.

Long, who is known for his roles in “Accepted,” “Waiting” and on TV as the “Mac guy,” spoke at an event hosted by Gators for Obama, a committee of the UF College Democrats, and Organizing for America, a project of the Democratic National Committee. Both groups mobilize supporters in favor of Obama’s legislative priorities.

Students who attended were encouraged to register to vote locally and volunteer for the Gators for Obama phone bank, which calls registered voters and informs them about Obama’s policies.

Long dropped out of Vassar College after two years because of financial problems. Now he supports Democratic platforms that help students afford a quality college education and save money by staying on their parents’ health care until age 26.

After leaving Vassar, Long said he worked odd jobs while pursuing an acting career.

“I witnessed firsthand the disparity of wealth,” he said.

Long said he became more politically aware and active after he cast his vote in the 2000 presidential election. He and his friends voted for independent candidate Nader because it was the “fashionable thing to do.”

He said he did it for the wrong reasons.

“I felt like I squandered my vote in 2000,” he told students. “We saw what a disaster the next four years were, and I found out how important of a swing state Florida is.”

Although he supports Obama, Long said he didn’t want students to blindly adopt his or other celebrities’ political views.

“Do the research,” he said. “I’m not politically relevant. I’m just someone who wanted to take part in the electoral process like all of you.”

Maria Moriyon, an 18-year-old UF biology freshman, said she felt more open-minded after the event. She plans on voting Republican in November, but Long’s presentation made her question her political conscience.

“It’s good to hear both sides of an election before you make a decision,” she said. “He gave me insight of how Obama is as a person.”

UF was the final stop in Long’s campaign this week to support Obama’s re-election. He spoke in Manchester, N.H., Monday and Charlottesville, Va., Tuesday.

“There’s something about going around and facing people and meeting them directly on a grassroots level that feels more authentic,” Long said of the experience. “It feels more effective.”