UF, Foursquare partner to bring game to students

With a swift keystroke on a smartphone and a download of the Foursquare app, as of Monday, students, visitors and fans alike can "check in" to official UF buildings and events.

Foursquare uses the geo-locator technology built into smartphones to turn exploring physical places into a virtual game. Users can garner points, badges and mayorships for checking in to specific places and events.

"The intent is to let students spread the message about the things they're interested in," said Bruce Floyd, UF social media specialist.

Followers of the UF Foursquare account can view lists of locations for on-campus printing, a campus tour and traditions that come directly from The F Book, Floyd said. While checking in, users will also receive historical facts like the story behind Century Tower or how Turlington Hall got its name, Floyd said.

UF isn't currently planning perks such as discounts or prizes for checking into locations, which some companies offer through the app. However, UF may offer these rewards in the future, Floyd said.

Occasional Foursquare user and philosophy and criminology junior Vanessa Miller, 20, said if the application offered discounts, she would definitely use it, but without them she probably wouldn't.

Journalism sophomore Devon Abelman, 19, isn't interested in using the app at all.

"I'm not interested in checking in; I hardly do status updates on Facebook," Abelman said. "It's a privacy thing."