crime
crime

Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies arrested an Ocala woman after a routine patrol on late Tuesday night turned up a stolen vehicle from Marion County.

Deputy Frank Atiles patrolled the intersection of Southeast 8th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Road when he noticed a blue 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis driving east, according to the arrest report.

Upon running the tag number, Deputy Atiles found the vehicle was reported stolen on Monday. He followed the vehicle, which turned around and started driving west down Hawthorne Road, according to the report.

When Latonia Rhodes, 43, brought the vehicle to a stop at 33 NE 22nd St., Atiles turned on his emergency lights. In addition to Rhodes, there was another occupant in the vehicle. Atiles asked Rhodes and the passenger to remain inside while waiting for additional deputies to arrive on the scene.

Rhodes was arrested and charged with grand theft of a motor vehicle. No charges were filed against the passenger, according to the report.

Upon booking at the jail, it was revealed Rhodes gave a false name of Denise Leavings to law enforcement at the scene of the incident. The documents regarding the arrest had to be changed, and she was additionally charged with giving a false ID.

Rhodes remains in Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $20,000 bond.

Rhodes