<p>UF women's tennis coach Roland Thornqvist: I think we have a lot of talent. On some courts we have more talent than we know what to do with.</p>

UF women's tennis coach Roland Thornqvist: I think we have a lot of talent. On some courts we have more talent than we know what to do with.

The Florida women’s tennis team has endured a lot through five matches.

Injuries. Bad losses. Heartbreaking comebacks. It’s difficult for an inexperienced team with just three returning players to come together quickly and create a contending culture. Coach Roland Thornqvist knows that, and he sees it as the most difficult task ahead for him and his team.

“We started a whole new project after we won the National Championship in 2017,” Thornqvist said following the 4-1 loss to the Seminoles earlier this week. “This year, we have five new players, and so it’s going to take time... If our leaders are two sophomores, no matter how tough and into it they are, they’re still learning.”

Sophomores McCartney Kessler and Victoria Emma look to turn things around as Florida (2-3) hosts Oklahoma (5-2) at the Ring Tennis Complex on Friday at 5 p.m.

Both Emma and Kessler are finally back on the court together after Emma’s season debut was delayed with a shoulder injury. Their premiere on the doubles court earlier this week was spoiled after falling to FSU’s duo of Ana Oparenovic and Emmanuelle Salas, and both subsequently lost on the singles court as well.

As a result of Tuesday’s loss to Florida State, the Gators dropped 24 spots in the ITA rankings to No. 48. Florida will look to play aggressive early and avoid dropping the doubles point as it has done in its past four matches. Sophomore and Georgia Tech transfer Ida Jarlskog has led the way,claiming a team-high three wins in singles this season.

Oklahoma will be a tough test for Florida as it comes to Gainesville ranked No. 28.

Thornqvist sees potential in his team. He just needs to bring the best out of his players, which he fully intends to do.

“I do think that we can continue to grow a lot. I think we have a lot of talent. On some courts we have more talent than we know what to do with,” Thornqvist said. “It takes time to harness that and play well under pressure, so we are going to continue to hammer away on some of the things we have been telling the team.”

Follow Victor Prieto on Twitter @victorprieto_11 and contact him at vprieto@alligator.org. 

UF women's tennis coach Roland Thornqvist: This year, we have five new players, and so it’s going to take time... If our leaders are two sophomores, no matter how tough and into it they are, they’re still learning.