Gators land former five-star running back Lingard via transfer portal

Dan Mullen and the Gators addressed a gaping hole in the 2020 recruiting cycle Friday afternoon.

Former five-star running back Lorenzo Lingard announced on Instagram that he will be transferring to UF. Florida did not have a running back commit in the current class.

In order to play for the Gators next year, Lingard will have to apply for a waiver through the NCAA.

Lingard, who played at the University of Miami the past two seasons, entered his name in the transfer portal earlier this week. He played six games his freshman season at UM and totaled 136 yards on the ground and two rushing touchdowns on just 17 carries. His freshman season was cut short by a leg injury and Lingard only played in two games this season.

“I am very thankful for the helping hands it took to get me to become a Gator and closer to my family,” Lingard wrote on Instagram.

He played high school football at University in Orange City, Florida, which is just two hours southeast of Gainesville. Lingard was ranked the No. 2 running back in the 2018 class and ran for more than 2,500 yards in his high school career, according to his player bio on the Hurricanes athletics website.

Lingard adds depth and talent to a Gators running back room that is losing its top rusher the past three seasons in senior Lamical Perine. Florida did not necessarily use Perine as a bell cow back, but he led the team in rushing attempts and yards every year since his sophomore season and showed his worth in the Orange Bowl, rushing for 138 yards and three touchdowns.

This is yet another example of coach Dan Mullen’s success with the transfer portal, a growing trend in college football. Lingard, linebacker Brenton Cox (Georgia) and wide receiver Jordan Pouncey (Texas, eligibility dependent on waiver) will all join UF’s incoming class.

Florida had plenty of production this season from transfers in linebacker Jonathan Greenard (Louisville), defensive lineman Adam Shuler (West Virginia) and receivers Van Jefferson (Ole Miss) and Trevon Grimes (Ohio State).

Follow Kyle @Kkylewood and contact him at kwood@alligator.org