Everyone loves a good taco Tuesday, but where should you go to engage in this zesty entree?

Last week, as part of Avenue Eats, three Mexican restaurants in Gainesville were put to the test to see which taco was supreme. No, it wasn’t Taco Bell.

The first stop on the list is Felipe’s Mexican Taqueria.

Order: Two soft tacos with chicken, lettuce, pico de gallo and cheese.

Price: $5.09

Review: Upon first bite, the taco had a very soft texture and everything seemed to melt together in the mouth. The chicken had some good flavor, but it didn’t really stand out as something mind-blowing. Starting the second taco, the realization was made that there is a definite need for a sauce of some kind because the tacos are very dry without it.

Rating: The tacos were fine, but definitely not game changing or something to rave about to friends. That equals a 3 out of 5.

Next stop is Boca Fiesta.

Order: Ahi tuna tacos which come with seared pineapples, onions and cilantro.

Price: $13.47

Review: I know the price can seem like a bit much for tacos, but the order comes with three tacos filled to the brim with nicely seared ahi tuna. The tuna works really well with the pineapple for this sweet and savory flavor that’s unexpected but very nice. Also, despite the soft shell, you can tell the tortillas were warmed slightly to add a bit of bite to the taco.

Rating: These tacos were way better than expected. The amount of flavor in each one was amazing. It was the first time that it seemed like the taco needed no extra toppings than what it came with because it was perfect. Thus, these tacos get a strong 4.5 out of 5.

Final stop is La Tienda Latina.

Order: Al pastor tacos, which has marinated pork and is cooked with pineapple, onions and cilantro.

Price: $8.50

Review: From the very moment that the tasting started it was difficult to eat the tacos because it kept falling apart. The taste of the taco itself was good, but it could be better if the pork was a bit more tender. The pork was slightly tough and chewy and made the eating experience less enjoyable.

Rating: The tacos were pretty difficult to eat and tough but had some promising and very authentic flavors. These tacos receive a 4 out of 5.

Final Thoughts: If you’re looking for a low-budget, great taco that gives you a bit more than the drive-thru, then La Tienda should be high on your list. However, if you’re willing to sit down and spend a little bit more on quality food and atmosphere, then you should find yourself at Boca Fiesta. Also, for those 21 and up, Boca Fiesta has a great margarita Monday deal.