Their issues may have happened in the dark, but now that they’re in the light, these football stars are doing their best to make the comeback of the century.

Netflix’s docuseries “Last Chance U” takes a look inside the lives of football stars with troubled pasts who are trying to prove they’ve grown, changed and are capable of careers in the major collegiate, and hopefully professional, circuits.

The show originally premiered online in 2016 and followed the players and coaching staff at East Mississippi Community College in Scooba, Mississippi, as they embarked on their journey to the National Junior College Athletic Association National Junior College Football Championships.

Most of the players in this series were once a part of a highly recognized university football team. Due to legal complications, however, they were let go from their respective teams and universities. Now, they are at a junior college looking for a second chance at education and, most of all, a football career.

What makes the series so intriguing to wide audiences is the unedited authenticity of these players and their coaching staff. Coach Buddy Stephens has become a household name because of his unorthodox and somewhat brash style of coaching that is either met with praise for his stern nature or criticism for his lack of control in stressful situations.

Despite some not always agreeing with the actions of the coach or the players off the field, the general consensus is this series has heart and is entertaining for the general public.

High praise for the series brought the group back for a second season. Viewers watch as they try to learn from the mistakes of the previous year both on and off the field, as they received a lot of mixed reviews from the series.

Although viewers developed a bond with East Mississippi and Coach Buddy Stephens, it is very clear throughout the second series that there was growing tension and aggravation because of the cameras and the show.

In late July, Netflix premiered the third installment of the series, but things were different. To the surprise of many, the third season of “Last Chance” brought viewers to a new school, Independence Community College in Independence, Kansas.

While the location does not have the same intense nature of coach Jason Brown, it brings a sweet sense of familiarity to past viewers.

Football lover or not, what makes this series so interesting is the unfiltered nature of the program. From the coach, to the advisors to the players, you can truly see that no one is playing a character for cameras.

Viewers get a real look into the lives of young men trying to redeem themselves after some questionable decisions.

This Netflix series is great for anyone who enjoys watching a journey that affects the lives of real people in the world.