The chomp: 3 quick egg recipes

It’s egg-making time! One of the most common college staple foods is the egg. I've already eaten more than a dozen eggs this semester, and I will probably buy more tomorrow. Eggs are inexpensive and delicious sources of protein. It just makes sense!

Eggs (copy)

If you are like me, and every morning you wake up wondering where to get your next quick and painless home-cooked meal, look no further than your fridge's egg carton. Here are a few delicious and exciting egg recipes that work for more than just breakfast, any day:

1. The classic: Eggs and rice

This dish takes less than 10 minutes if you have rice pre-made, and it is full of protein. Heat up brown or white rice and add cheese of your choice — I’m particularly partial to Swiss. Then fry an egg to sizzling perfection, and mix it into your cheesy-rice bowl. For added flavor, add spices of your choice. For some color, add raw or sautéed vegetables like tomatoes.

2. Channel your inner Brit: Eggs on kale and avocado toast

I have personally had this combination many times, and it never disappoints. Adding pounded kale that’s seasoned with lemon and a spread of mashed avocado adds fun to the simple egg on toast. It’s also extremely easy to make! Toast your bread — extra points if it’s an exciting kind of bread like pumpernickel — and fry up your egg. Don’t forget to use PAM or olive oil on your frying pan beforehand to avoid burning your egg into a black scorch mark on the stove. Add kale and spices, and top with melted Cheddar Jack cheese. Scrape your avocado spread over the toast, and put everything together by turning the whole thing into a handy sandwich. Yum!

3. The time-saver: Hard-boiled burrito

I always recommend keeping a few hard-boiled eggs on hand for quick breakfasts when your class starts in 10 minutes, but if you are looking for something a little different, it’s easy as pie to turn one or two of your hard-boiled eggs into a healthy burrito! Chop up the eggs, and mix them into all your favorite burrito toppings, such as salsa, shredded cheese, corn and beans. When you think you’ve achieved the perfect consistency, roll all that deliciousness into a flour tortilla.

Eggs are a versatile, healthy and delicious option that every college student should keep in their cooking arsenal. Next time you are craving a cheap and easy meal, try your hand at whipping up one of these yummy egg recipes, or create your own!