Food and drink specials for St. Patrick's Day in Gainesville

This Saturday, finding St. Patrick’s Day food and drinks in Gainesville will be much easier than plucking a four-leaf clover. You don’t need a leprechaun to tell you these specials are worth more than a pot of gold!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You can either start the day by pouring a festive, marshmallow-packed bowl of Lucky Charms or get down to business at Mother’s Pub & Grille, where taps start flowing at 7 a.m. Mother’s will be offering traditional Irish food specials, including warm Shepard’s pie and plates of corned beef and cabbage. Drink specials include $5 Irish car bombs, $5 Jameson Irish Whiskey, $2 Killian’s Irish Beer, and $1 green beer all day long.

For lunch, take a breather from pinching those poor souls who forgot to wear green and stop into Beef 'O’ Bradys, where they will be serving three St. Patty’s Day food specials. First is a plate of corned beef and cabbage accompanied by a pretzel roll for just $9.99. Next, they have chili cheese fries smothered in gravy for $4.98. Last is The Dubliner, which includes thinly sliced roast beef, mushrooms and Swiss cheese served with mashed potatoes, broccoli and a thick wedge of grilled sourdough bread for $9.49.

Before stumbling to dinner, break out your “Kiss me, I’m Irish” T-shirt  and head over to Swamp Head Brewery, where they will be serving a Hoggetowne Irish Red Ale for $5 a pint between 1-5 p.m. Also, starting at 11 a.m., Durty Nelly's will be offering a traditional Irish feast including corned beef and cabbage, potatoes in their skins topped with an optional parsley sauce and a dessert. They will also have drink specials all day long.

After dinner, stop by The Midnight, where you’ll find $1 green beer, $1 Narragansett tallboys and $3.50 imperial pints of Guinness, Smithwick's and Harp. Also, local band, Fiona Vas, playing traditional Irish instrumental music on the back patio. Another option for St. Patty’s Day celebrations following the end of the rainbow is 101 Cantina, where they will offer $5 Irish car bombs and $5 pitchers of green beer.

A true Irishman knows how to satisfy their sweet tooth, so at the end of the night make sure to pick up a minty green Shamrock Shake from McDonald's on the way home. Also, Sweet Dreams ice cream will be offering Baileys and Guinness-flavored ice cream all day. Please remember to drink responsibly and have a safe and fun St. Patrick’s Day!

Posts in Chomp and Chew appear on Thursdays. For more from Becca, check out her personal blog at www.becca-bakes.com.