Gainesville Police arrested a UF employee Tuesday for sexually battering a woman.

At about 8:45 p.m. on Sep. 3, Charles Edward Overstreet, 58, was in the woman’s home discussing her history of sexual abuse when he began to make sexual advances toward her, according to a police report.

+1 

Charles Edward Overstreet

The woman told Overstreet she was not in a right state of mind and did not want to have sex, according to the report.

Overstreet, who works at UF’s Physical Plant, then began to touch the woman and engage in oral sex. She repeatedly told him to stop and that he was hurting her, according to the report.

Prior to the incident, the two engaged in consensual sex, but the woman did not consent to the advances Overstreet made after they discussed her history of abuse, according to the report.

UF has placed Overstreet on paid administrative leave pending an internal investigation, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes wrote in an email. He is also banned from UF’s campus, Sikes said.

On Saturday, at the urging of GPD officers, the woman called Overstreet on a recorded line. During the conversation, he did not deny that the woman told him to stop and that he was hurting her, according to the report.

Instead, he argued he never heard her tell him no, according to the report.

Overstreet told police he may have become “overzealous” in his actions but that he never intended to hurt the woman, according to the report.

Police charged him with sexual battery and took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $20,000 bond.

He is on paid leave pending an investigation

Caitlin Ostroff is a journalism junior and freelance editor. Now in her fourth semester reporting for the Alligator, she's covered everything from Student Government to cops to features. She's a coffee addict, stress baker and devout Hufflepuff.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.