Eric Brown is worried.

The UF political science sophomore is one of more than 20,000 UF students who depend on certain types of federal financial aid — some of which they could lose in 2013 if the U.S. Congress fails to act on the looming “fiscal cliff.”

“I think it’s insane that people are being held hostage like this,” Brown, 19, said. “Everyone’s suffering.”

The fiscal cliff refers to a set of automatic federal spending cuts and tax hikes engineered by Congress in an effort to force themselves to compromise on lowering the country’s debt.

Since all attempts at working together have failed so far, Congress now has 26 days to reach a deal before the nation faces harsh penalties.

While this would affect students who, like Brown, depend on federal financial aid programs, the fiscal cliff could also impact students involved with research.

This means UF could face another budget cut.

UF gets about two-thirds of its funding from federal agencies. Virtually all of the federal agencies that fund UF would experience 7 to 8 percent budget cuts if Congress doesn’t reach a deal on the fiscal cliff, according to a report released in September by the White House’s Office of Management and Budget.

Although it is unclear how these offices would absorb the lost revenue, UF could lose a portion of its federal funding.

This lost revenue would be coupled with deep cuts already levied by Florida’s Legislature.

“We don’t know a whole lot about what’s going to happen,” UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said. “It’s unclear how the federal agencies would make their cuts.”

UF and other universities also stand to lose funding for research. Federal programs that write grants for university research — like the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health and the National Endowment for the Humanities — would see cuts between 7.6 and 8.2 percent in their budgets, according to the White House report. This could mean less money available to award for research.

Awards could also be limited for students, like Brown, who depend on federal financial aid programs.

While the Federal Pell Grant will remain unscathed during 2013, virtually all other federally funded financial aid programs could see budget cuts of more than 8 percent.

This would include federal work-study and the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, according to Inside Higher Education, which are two of the most common aid programs.

Brown relies on the Federal Pell Grant and the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant to help pay his tuition. But with the cuts to the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Brown fears that he may not have enough money to get his degree.

“Basically, either I’ll have to drop out or get a couple of jobs to make up for the difference in what I’ll get for my tuition,” Brown said. “I could take out private loans, but then I’d be racked with debt.”

Taking out private loans could prove more expensive, too, as student loan origination fees would also increase if the U.S. reaches the fiscal cliff, according to Inside Higher Education.

Richard Wilder, the director of UF Office for Student Financial Affairs, said students shouldn’t worry about evaporating federal assistance this academic year.

“I don’t believe this will affect students for the spring semester,” Wilder said. “But next year, who knows?”

Despite the possible consequences that await universities and students across the country, Congress has made little headway in negotiations.

President Barack Obama said he would require a deal to include increased taxes on the wealthiest 2 percent of Americans, according to The New York Times.

However, some Republican leaders in Congress said they would refuse to raise the tax rate. Some refuse to raise the rate unless Congress alters so-called entitlement programs like Medicaid and welfare, according to The New York Times.

Leading Democrats say they are unwilling to adjust these programs.

Cliff Stearns, a Republican who represents Gainesville and Ocala in the U.S. House of Representatives, said he would like to see Congress decrease spending.

However, he said he hopes the House of Representatives will set priorities on what programs to fund, like higher education.

“By relying on automatic cuts, Congress is abandoning its responsibility,” Stearns said in a statement. “The cuts, set to take place at the start of 2013, would directly impact higher education and the University of Florida.”

But almost 900 miles from Washington, D.C., some people at UF said they find it hard to understand why the Legislature would use universities’ funding and federal financial aid as pawns in a game of political chess.

Brown said he’s not the only person worried about the future of his education.

Brown’s mother raised Brown and his three brothers by herself while working full-time as a registered nurse. Brown said his mother tried to instill the importance of education in each of her sons, but now, she’s worried that her youngest son may face financial obstacles while trying to finish his education. She’s worried it’s one check she won’t be able to write.

“She wants me to focus on my education, so now she’s going to stress out about it,” he said. “She’s already overworked.”

Contact Shelby Webb at [email protected].

(4) comments

mudbone

Good. The Pell Grant is B.S. - people should have to pay the same price for education regardless of their parents' income.

Romulan

I think gay marriage, saving Big Bird, and free birth control will become less and less important to most middle-class people (including students) as the next four years roll by.

andoh666
andoh666

@mudbone:

What? You must be one of those people who voted for Rick Scott and voted for Mitt Romney too.. How old are you, by chance? Over 60? I can see why removing the Pell and SEO Grants wouldn't bother you at all. But, keep in mind, that sort of policy-making attitude is what will create a definable divide between the upper financial classes and those who make less than 20k per year.

Of course, you can argue for the point that you worked all your life and these young people who want an education do not deserve one cent of your damn money. In which case, I suggest you stop paying Federal and State income tax. That way you can be totally sure your money is most certainly NOT going to any federally funded "entitlement" program(s).

Then again, you could simply move out of the USA and spare us all your misery.

Silly misanthrope, we're all humans. We are all responsible for the betterment of our species and our place in the universe. Your limited and narrow world view is apparent by your rather brief critique.

But, you know. Religious freedom for Muslims is taking away our religious freedom in the USA.

Romulan

@andoh666, Shouldn't college be free for everyone anyway? Why is K-12 free, and then all of a sudden it costs like $10,000 a year to go to school, even at a public school? And our insane president here at UF wants to RAISE tuition year after year after year instead of moving in the more enlightened opposite direction. Paint everything blue (including the trees!), make us 'classy' with an over-sized dancing ceramic couple (yes of course it's blue!), and keep raising tuition... yep, that is surely the answer to raising our 'prestige' here at UF. Actually, getting rid of what most people thought were actual useful radio stations (Rock 104, Classic 89, and the old talk station AM 850) was really stupid. Now we have Gator Country 104 and Non-Stop-Sports-Talk-BS 850. Both are worthless to me and most people with actual brains.

Here is my brilliant thought for the day... Money from the Florida Lottery goes to K-12. Why not tax (and essentially legalize) cannabis, and direct a good portion of the tax revenue from that to public colleges and universities here in the state, with the stated goal of reducing tuition at all institutions by 50% or more within five years time?

@andoh666, Why don't you head out for Ethiopia or someplace else where there are humans in real need of your help? I'm guessing you are more of what used to be called a 'limousine liberal.' I'm surprised you missed the point that many Pell Grant recipients are no longer considered dependents as far as the FAFSA and financial aid. Personally, as one who received some Pell Grants, they were usually quite large, and it might have been more fair to give everyone something instead of some people getting $5,000 and others getting nothing at all. It also works against people who work and actually earn money before going to school or going back to school. Example... both Guy A and Guy B come from similar backgrounds and are old enough to be considered independent of their families. Guy A is a little bit lazy but also shrewd; he donates plasma for money, sells drugs to his friends and neighbors, wheels and deals selling stuff online on Ebay or other places to make money that won't be reported to the IRS because it is below a certain threshold, collects EBT, and works 15 hours a week at a record store for 2 years before going back to school. He goes back to school and gets $8k per year in Pell Grants (whatever the max is now) and probably Turner Grants and other things. Guy B is not lazy; he works 40 or 50 hours a week and makes over $20k per year for 2 years before going to school or back to school. Guy B is fucked as far as financial aid because he made too much reported income (at least for his full first year of school) and will be lucky to receive any financial aid at all aside from possibly loans that must be repaid. That is a definite a flaw in the system. It's also teaching people to be lazy (the way to 'work the system.')

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.