CRC will host pilot six-week leadership, jobs program

Allie Ricker and her colleagues at the Career Resource Center noticed students didn’t visit on a regular basis.

“A lot of our services that we have are one-and-done types of services,” Ricker said. “Students come in for a workshop and then leave. There’s not a whole lot of community.”

As a result, the senior assistant director for career and professional development at the CRC, is helping to launch the Career Success Institute, a six-week program that aims to help students develop skills for leadership positions, internships and job searches.

The new program will be held every Tuesday from 5 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. at the resource center starting Oct. 11. The application, which can be found on the center’s website, is due today.

“We really wanted to create a cohort of students with this institute,” Ricker said.

The pilot program will provide students a chance to connect with their peers and reflect on their career interests. Initial sessions will focus on community building. Participants will be able to get to know each other and the resource center’s staff, Ricker said.

Students will then take a personality assessment to help them reflect on what’s important to them and how that applies to their career goals.

A student leadership panel consisting of UF students with experience in campus involvement and internships will also give advice to enrollees during one of the program’s sessions, Ricker said.

Ron Cabrera, a UF health education and behavior junior, has attended multiple workshops at the CRC in the past and is excited about the institute’s potential.

“I think it will be beneficial for students to take advantage of that program,” the 20-year-old said. “It will help us get a better aspect of what careers we want to pursue and just network with the people there as well.”