Following allegations of hazing, a UF music fraternity has been disbanded and is now under police investigation.

UF’s chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia is no longer registered as a student organization at UF in light of the accusations, details of which have not been released.

Jen Day Shaw, the UF dean of students, wrote in an email Tuesday that the chapter of the music fraternity is also under investigation by University Police and that the national organization of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia revoked the UF chapter’s charter.

“If they aren’t recognized by their national organization, they can’t be a registered student organization at UF,” Day Shaw said.

UF became aware the charter had been rescinded Monday, wrote UF spokesperson Janine Sikes in an email. She said if Day Shaw believes the conduct code was violated, the organization could be charged.

“But that could be a while considering they just started looking into things (Monday),” she said.

On the national fraternity’s website, its risk management policy lists 44 offenses considered hazing.

Howard Lin, the UF’s chapter president, declined to comment.

Max Mersinger, a 31-year-old Florida International University alumnus and member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, said when one chapter engages in misconduct, it makes the entire brotherhood look bad.

He said the UF members can’t be recognized as brothers after the charter is revoked. He wouldn’t be able to give them the special handshake, he said, but if the rumors were true, he wouldn’t want to.

“I’m glad to see them gone, make an example out of them,” Mersinger said. “They deserved to get their a---- whooped.”

@romyellenbogen

rellenbogen@alligator.org