UF student Antonio Milanes Cuesta died Monday after a car ran over him while he was lying in the middle of a road.

It was 3:20 a.m. when 22-year-old Adam Rodriguez, of Oviedo, Fla., traveling east on McCulloch Road in Seminole County, did not see Cuesta, 19, lying in the center lane of the road and ran over him, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report.

The accident happened near the intersection of McCulloch Road and Orion Boulevard.

Cuesta was taken to Florida Hospital East, where he died.

A deputy had passed through the area between five and 10 minutes before the incident but did not see Cuesta or anyone else lying in the road at the time, said Sgt. Kim Montes, FHP public information officer.

The FHP doesn't know why Cuesta was lying in the road, Montes said.

It will probably take at least two weeks to get the results from the alcohol and drug tests performed during Cuesta's autopsy.

It is possible that Cuesta could have tripped and fell in the middle of the road, but there were no witnesses in the area to explain how he ended up lying there, Montes said.

The investigation is ongoing, but charges are not likely because of the circumstances of the incident, she said. Rodriguez was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the incident.

Cuesta was an electrical engineering sophomore and a member of ROTC at UF, said friend and former roommate Kevin Weschler. He was also a member of the UF wrestling team.

Weschler, a sophomore, was Cuesta's roommate in Mallory Hall last year.

"He was a random roommate. I didn't know who he was, but we ended up getting along really well," Weschler said. "He was just a really nice, genuine kid."

Cuesta would often pick up Weschler, who didn't have a car, when he needed a ride to the Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity house, where Weschler is a brother, or to another location.

"He was a really generous kid," he said. "He would never say no to go out of his way to do something for someone else."