Details of Treon Harris incident still not released

<p class="p1">A University Police Department officer, left, and a Gainesville Police public service technician transport evidence bags to a GPD forensic crime unit vehicle at the Springs Residential Complex at about 2:30 p.m. Monday. The residence hall is the location of an alleged sexual assault that took place Sunday morning.</p>

A University Police Department officer, left, and a Gainesville Police public service technician transport evidence bags to a GPD forensic crime unit vehicle at the Springs Residential Complex at about 2:30 p.m. Monday. The residence hall is the location of an alleged sexual assault that took place Sunday morning.

UPDATE: The female student who accused Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her complaint, Harris' lawyer Huntley Johnson confirmed Friday.

Three days after true freshman quarterback Treon Harris was accused of sexually assaulting a student at a UF residence hall, an incident report was released. However, with the majority of the report withheld by state law, most questions are left unanswered as the investigation into the alleged assault continues.

The 18-page report confirms the time and location of the incident: between 2:30 and 3:25 a.m. Sunday at the Springs Residential Complex. It also confirmed the offense was sexual battery. The rest of the narrative was redacted.

Florida law requires all active criminal intelligence information and active criminal investigative information to be withheld from the public.

“We cannot discuss what is happening at all because it is protected by student privacy laws,” UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes wrote in an email.

Sikes said the UF Student Conduct process “seeks to provide a fair, compassionate, safe and equitable place for students to tell their perceptions of what happened and for decision makers to determine, using a more likely than not standard, whether the Conduct Code was violated.”

Attempts to speak with UF law professors were made but none were available for comment.

“Most people just aren’t going to want to comment on the subject,” Sikes said. “But our professors have academic freedom and can speak on whatever topic they’d like.”

Opinions on how the university handled the sexual assault accusations vary.

“I’m proud of the way Florida handled it,” said 20-year-old Connor Ingalls. “I think it was good for them to take care of it before it got out of control or overshadowed the team.”

The telecommunication junior said he thinks the university’s decision to suspend Harris is strongly influenced by the recent assaults on and around UF campus.

“It all created the perfect storm really for Treon Harris to just have to be suspended immediately,” he said.

However, 23-year-old recent Florida State University graduate David Arbogast said he doesn’t agree with Harris’ suspension.

“I don’t think we should punish someone until they’re proven guilty, but I understand why UF did it,” he said.

Coach Will Muschamp met with media on Wednesday for the first time since news about Harris’ situation broke on Monday.

The Florida head coach did not add any further comment on the situation.

“The statement that the university released Monday, I think, was pretty self-explanatory,” Muschamp said. 

“It’s a very serious charge, and there’s been no change in his status. So that’s kind of where we are.”

Kristina Florio, Jordan McPherson and Melissa Mihm contributed to this report.