One of UF's oldest buildings, Thomas Hall, to get air conditioning this Fall

Amid the hustle and bustle of beeping cars squeezing past one another on West University Avenue stands one of UF’s first buildings, Thomas Hall, virtually unchanged since 1906.

But this Fall, Thomas Hall will take one step closer to the 21st century with its first air conditioning units.

Jen Gresley, the Murphree Area coordinator, said the windows in the dorm rooms were recently replaced to prepare for the units. 

The UF Board of Governors has not finalized Fall prices for Thomas Hall yet. Its sister dorm, Buckman Hall, has had air conditioning since Fall, and it was more expensive than Thomas Hall this academic year.

For some UF students, the cheaper price made the dorm a more attractive option.

“It’s never been an issue (to not have air conditioning),” said Rebecca Fedderwitz, a UF materials science and engineering sophomore who lives in Thomas Hall.

The 20-year-old said she loves the hall.

“Everything inside is a little more homey,” Fedderwitz said, comparing it with other dorms.

While newer dorms on campus, like Jennings Hall and Beaty Towers, boast air-conditioned units, Fedderwitz said she would rather live without the amenity.  She said that unlike some residence halls, Thomas gives residents the freedom to open their windows, which look out to shady sidewalks and iron benches.

At Preview, Fedderwitz said she stayed in Jennings Hall, which was built in 1961.  It wasn’t as welcoming as Thomas.

“The rooms were just cold and ugly,” she said of Jennings Hall.

On Thursday, when it was 82 degrees out and only a few clouds dotted the blue sky, Fedderwitz said she kept her window open.

“When it’s really nice out, I don’t have to be outside to appreciate the weather,” she said.

Gresley said the new windows feature trim that gives them their original look.

“Even with all the renovations,” Fedderwitz said, “it still feels old-timey.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 4/3/2015 under the headline “One of UF’s oldest buildings Thomas Hall to get A/C soon”]