Marion Brechner, a long-time friend and donor to the College of Journalism and Communications at UF, died Thursday afternoon.

Brechner, 98, and her late husband, Joseph Brechner, a pioneer broadcaster, were known for advocating freedom of the press. 

John Wright, dean of the College of Journalism and Communications, said Brechner had a major impact on how the college came to be what it is today.

“She meant everything to the college,” Wright said.

He said the college’s doctoral program is where it is because of her and her husband’s work and beliefs in freedom and democracy.

“She advanced the cause of open government and freedom of information through her generosity,” Wright said.

Brechner and her husband gave more than $1 million to fund The Brechner Center for Freedom of Information in 1986, renaming the previous organization, Florida Freedom of Information Clearinghouse.

According to its website, The Brechner Center “answers queries about media law from journalists, attorneys, and other members of the public.”

She donated $600,000 in 1999 to establish what is now known as the Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project. The Project is a nonprofit organization that focuses on current and contemporary issues regarding the First Amendment.

Brechner continued to give donations to the college up until her death to further her belief in freedom of information.

Wright described her as a wonderful, caring, highly intelligent, dynamic, charming and insightful woman.

“She’s the kind of person you savor every moment with her,” he said.

Services will be held for Brechner at 11 a.m. today outside Orlando at Temple Israel Cemetery.

For more information, call Temple Israel (burial) at 407-647-3055 or Beth Shalom Memorial Chapel (providing service) at 407-599-1180.