UF club to hold Barrels for Boobs surf competition

UF’s all-female surf club plans to shred breast cancer.

The Wahines of the Waves will host their inaugural Barrels for Boobs Surf Contest in St. Augustine on Saturday to raise money for the Florida Breast Cancer Foundation.  

The competition is from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Butler Beach in the quest to raise $5,000, said Jenna Curtis, one of WOW’s vice presidents. Advanced registration is $15 per division and $20 at the event. Nonsurfers can watch for free. So far, 29 people have registered.

“(Breast cancer) affects a lot of people — it takes a lot of lives,” said Curtis, a 20-year-old UF environmental science sophomore.

Surfers will compete in different categories, including women’s beginner, women’s shortboard, women’s longboard, men’s beginner, men’s shortboard, men’s longboard, tandem and weirdest thing you can surf.

The competition is open to the public. People who have never been on a surfboard are encouraged to participate in the beginner’s division, said Rachel O’Neal, a registered surfer in the competition and member of WOW.

“There’s so many people I know competing that just started surfing or have only been out there once,” the 20-year-old UF communication sciences and disorders junior said.

Free beach yoga lessons will also be offered to participants and competitors at 8 a.m. Raffle tickets and T-shirts can be purchased for a donation.

WOW wanted to create an event that focuses on having a good time for a good cause, Curtis said, which is why there is the “weirdest thing you can surf” division.

O’Neal said she is looking forward to this part of the competition and may bring a piece of plywood to surf on. She said she heard other people are planning to bring inflatable animals.

Curtis said WOW members also hope to highlight their organization, an all-girls extreme sports club started in 2011. 

“As far as we know, we’re the only club of our kind,” Curtis said. “We want women to be empowered to not be afraid to go out there with the guys and catch a wave.”

WOW hosts wakeboarding, skimboarding and skating events throughout the year.

Although the organization hopes to recruit new members, its main focus is on fundraising for the foundation.

Curtis said the club wants to educate women and emphasize the importance of self check-ups.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 - 4 on 3/26/2015 under the headline “UF club to hold Barrels for Boobs surf competition”]