One UF student and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals are joining forces for an all-vegan dining hall on campus.

Far Binder will meet with Gator Dining executives next week after PETA’s college organization, Peta2, collected more than 600 signatures last week from students demanding a vegan dining hall.

Binder, 22, has been a vegan for four years. The UF English and philosophy senior founded the Student Animal Alliance four years ago, which pushed for clear vegan food labels, vegan mini-markets on campus and meatless Mondays.

Ryan Huling, Peta2 manager for college campaigns, arrived on campus Thursday to collect signatures for a vegan dining hall on campus.

“It’s a tremendously positive response for just a couple of days on campus,” he said.

UF ranked No. 5 in the Top 10 for Most Vegan-Friendly Large American Colleges by PETA last fall.

Marketing Program Manager for Gator Dining Services Jill Rodriguez wrote in an email there are no plans for an all-vegan dining hall on campus.

But Huling wants to keep trying.

“We think the time is right for UF to keep up with student demands and take the vegan dining hall plunge,” he said.

Contact Colleen Wright at [email protected].

(4) comments

Thrivegan
Thrivegan

The tide is turning and the future is vegan! The admin should get on board now.

Delicious vegan food is one reason why the number of vegans has doubled in less than 3 years. Here are two uplifting videos that will help people understand just some of the implications of this lifestyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE and http://www.veganvideo.org

bmod76

i want a dining hall for only left-handed eaters as long as we're making ridiculous requests. or maybe a hall that only serves grilled cheese.

mudbone

I'm a Muslim, can I get a Halal dining hall?
I'm a Jew, can I get a Kosher dining hall?
I'm lactose intolerant, can I get a dairy-free dining hall?
I'm a celiac, can I get a gluten-free dining hall?

Viennavegan

The concept for a vegan final hall is not a whimsical one and it's not about religion. It's about non-violence. It is also a healthful way of heating which would benefit all.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.