While many high-profile celebrities and politicians come to UF to give speeches, Miami Rep. Kendrick Meek visited campus Thursday to have a discussion with students.

“I thought it’d be better served to answer questions than make a speech,” Meek said. “I can take this discussion to D.C. and bring some perspective.”

About 30 students and local activists gathered in the Reitz Union for the campaign rally.

It was the Democratic congressman’s fifth visit to UF since announcing his campaign for Senate in January 2009.

Education, which has been a central part of Meek’s campaign, was the most popular topic among the students.

The representative said when the legislature and governor changed the Bright Futures Scholarship Program and tuition rates this year, it was a “bait and switch” for students.

“Kids held their end of the deal by getting the grade point average to be eligible for Bright Futures,” Meek said. “To pull the carpet out from under them now, when some students can’t afford to make up the difference, is almost like a double tuition hike.”

Education has always been an important issue for Meek.

In 2002, he spearheaded efforts to pass the Florida Class Size Amendment.

Meek was also critical of FCAT.

In the third grade, he found out he was dyslexic and said a test like FCAT would have hurt his education.

“One size doesn’t fit all, and that’s my problem with the FCAT,” he said.

Dominique Martin, a member of the Black Student Union, said he started interning for the campaign last semester because Meek supports education.

“[Meek] is a supporter of the people,” Martin said.

The representative’s campaign is dependent on volunteers like Martin to collect the 112,476 petitions required for Meek to qualify for the ballot.

Meek wouldn’t specify how many petitions they’ve gathered but said they’re in the final stretch.

If he gathers enough signatures, Meek will be the first statewide candidate to qualify by petition.

Adam Sharon, a spokesman for the campaign, said qualifying by petition serves as an organizing tool to reach out to voters.

Sharon said it takes humility for a candidate, like Meek, to ask the people of Florida to put him on a ballot before even asking for their votes.

All other candidates have qualified by paying a $10,000 fee.