Florida softball takes Game 1 against Texas A&M

The Gators defeated the Aggies 2-1

Korbe Otis does the Gator chomp before Florida softball's matchup with Oklahoma State on Feb. 20. Photo by Ryan Friedenberg

The Florida softball team’s offense entered its final regular season series primed after it recorded the most runs in program history against Florida State during its midweek extra-inning win.

The Gators took the field against the Aggies looking to continue its offensive production in front of a packed crowd at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. However, UF’s offense had a slow start after TAMU sophomore pitcher Kennedy Powell was dealing on the mound, holding UF hitless.

Trailing by one in the bottom of the fifth, UF junior left fielder Korbe Otis broke the no-hitter with a single to shortstop and advanced to second on a throwing error. Redshirt senior shortstop Skylar Wallace drove Otis home with a double to the right-center field gap to tie the game, 1-1.

With one out, the Gators loaded the bases with back-to-back singles. Freshman infielder Ava Brown scored the go ahead run on a sacrifice fly to right field to take the lead.

The Gators (41-12, 16-7 SEC) two-run frame defeated Texas A&M (39-10, 15-7 SEC) 2-1 to clinch Game 1 of the series.

The Aggies took the initial lead in the top of the second inning after an earned walk put the runner in scoring position. With two outs, TAMU junior right fielder Allie Enright drove the first run of the game with a single to the left field wall.

The next five innings became a pitchers duel as both teams battled in the box and fought back-and-forth to keep runners off the diamond. In the bottom of the third, Florida earned three consecutive walks to load the bases, but Powell left them stranded. 

Leading the way in the effort for Florida was right-handed pitcher Keagan Rothrock who recorded five strikeouts and allowed just two walks. The freshman retired the side in order in three separate innings.

UF senior right fielder Katie Kistler executed a double play in the top of the sixth inning. Using her rocket of an arm, she caught a fly out in right field and made the throw to tag the runner advancing to second.

In the final inning, Texas A&M had the opportunity to tie the game after Enright smashed a double to the left center field gap with one out. Rothrock was faced with a full count, but remained composed and won the battle with a strikeout. She forced an infield pop-up to end the frame.

Next, Florida will face Texas A&M in Game 2 on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst.

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.